nLite (beta) newbie - is this right?

rpmtl

I'm a newbie to nLite and the whole automated install process.

I used the script at smithii.com to blend SP2 and MS updates in my older XP-Pro install disk I then used nLite 1.4 (beta) to add the chipset and AHCI SATA files for my 'soon to be installed' Intel DP35 motherboard. I then burned it onto a DVD (still with nLite)

Looking at the resulting DVD I'm wondering about a few things.

1) The DVD is named 'WinLite'. Should I have used the name from my original XP-Pro install disk?

2) The Chipset and ACHI inf files are in Winlite/I386/NLDRV/001 and 002 is this correct? From what I read elsewhere on the web (methods to automate an XP install) I expected to see a directory named $OEM$.

I do see

1984= %cdname%,%cdtagfilei%,,"\i386\NLDRV01"

1985= %cdname%,%cdtagfilei%,,"\i386\NLDRV02"

in the [sourceDisksNames.x86] and [WinntDirectories] section. Is this what makes them run?

3) I don't see a WINNT.SIF file anywhere. Is that ok as it's mentioned on some howto sites I been reading to try and learn about this stuff.?

Is there something else I am supposed to do for this to work properly (in theory)?

Russell

no, yes, yes if it works another way

nLite uses winnt.sif, so if you didn't do some other method for automated installs then it might be broken.

Thanks for the reply Sancho . Good to hear things are apparently doing what they're supposed to :-)

Where should I see winnt.sif? I don't see winnt.sif anywhere (searched) on my original XP install disks either. Is this something that nLite is supposed to create?

Thanks again

Russell

Edited by rpmtl

no, yes, yes if it works another way

nLite uses winnt.sif, so if you didn't do some other method for automated installs then it might be broken.

Thanks for the reply Sancho . Good to hear things are apparently doing what they're supposed to :-)

Where should I see winnt.sif? I don't see winnt.sif anywhere (searched) on my original XP install disks either. Is this something that nLite is supposed to create?

Thanks again

Russell

Look in the i386 folder.

Look in the i386 folder.

I searched winnt.* with all system and hidden files revealed and the only thing that comes up is winnt.exe in the I386 directory.

Russell

I guess it's just created. There are Microsoft utilities to create automated installs and they give you the option of what kind of files to use, and it generates what it needs. The only file I remember being there originally is the unattend.txt and some instructions, which nLite deletes.

I guess it's just created.

Sancho,

I did a bit more research and I now assume that the Winnt.sif file is created if I set unattended options in nLite's setup section. All I used nLite for was to fold in the chipset and AHCI SATA drivers.

I'm anxious to get the new system put together to see how it works. I did try booting from the DVD and it works fine so everything is looking good so far.. :-)

Russell

I guess it's just created.

Sancho,

I did a bit more research and I now assume that the Winnt.sif file is created if I set unattended options in nLite's setup section.

Russell

That may be true...Because all of my nLite's were set as unattended installs.