windows server licensing

So I'm looking at trying to get a client of mine to buy an internal file server for their small business...right now they have 1 computer and will be buying 3 more for now and possible more later. Could someone explain to me the open licensing, and the microsoft select licensing and what's going to work for me...There will be one server for now, serving the 4 computers. It will run Active Directory, obviously DNS, DHCP, probably RIS/WDS, and File/Print sharing for the rest of the network, not just SYSVOL..etc... I may try to convince them to go up to 20 CALs instead of just 5...may wait tho..

Also would you guys suggest 2003 Std R2? or Ent. R2? and if the package includes windows server 2003 SP2 on CD will they come as 2 separate discs(which is what I want)? Or does anyone know where I can purchase the full lic and media either with SP2 on a separate disc or not at all?

Thanks for your help.

So I'm looking at trying to get a client of mine to buy an internal file server for their small business...right now they have 1 computer and will be buying 3 more for now and possible more later. Could someone explain to me the open licensing, and the microsoft select licensing and what's going to work for me...There will be one server for now, serving the 4 computers. It will run Active Directory, obviously DNS, DHCP, probably RIS/WDS, and File/Print sharing for the rest of the network, not just SYSVOL..etc... I may try to convince them to go up to 20 CALs instead of just 5...may wait tho..

Also would you guys suggest 2003 Std R2? or Ent. R2? and if the package includes windows server 2003 SP2 on CD will they come as 2 separate discs(which is what I want)? Or does anyone know where I can purchase the full lic and media either with SP2 on a separate disc or not at all?

Thanks for your help.

unless they are looking to cluster or load balance then Standard edition would be the way to go for them, SBS might be an option at well (depending on what they are looking for) are you going to buy the server from a big provider (dell, HP, etc) if so you can pickup the license with the server, if you are looking to buy that few of licenses you aren't going to need any of the licensing programs

the new media will have server 2003 SP2 on one CD and the R2 components on a second CD

thanks. Yes I would probably get the server from HP as far as it looks right now. Is there any way I can still use legacy RIS or Mixed mode WDS after SP2 is installed if I haven't installed either yet? Whenever I install WDS after SP2 is installed, or slipstreamed, it automatically goes to native mode and I dont think I can change it. Thanks.

Edited by luke.mccormick