nLited Windows XP boot problem

robd

Ok, to make this short and concise, my scenario:

nLited a xp cd with sp2 and hotfixes and installed it on an older computer containing mostly generic hardware.

I decided to repeat the process but also employ all the functionality nLite offers. Tested it in VMware and booted the disc off my current pc.

Problem: attempt the boot the cd in old machine, the disc is recognized and an attempt is made to read it but ultimately fails.

Any ideas, this disc just won't boot on an old generic cdrom in a system based on a via chipset - Gigabyte mainboard with an AMD Duron.

A firmware update for the cdrom or a bios update for the mainboard seem to be my only guesses but I would like to know what other people might reckon.

Thankyou

I have determined this is not a hardware related issue. The old generic cd drive is picky about certain disks, I tried several different cds (linux, different builds of XP) and certain ones worked while others didn't. Rather weird because all the disks were burned with the same utility (Nero) on the exact same media (Imation).

I have determined this is not a hardware related issue. The old generic cd drive is picky about certain disks, I tried several different cds (linux, different builds of XP) and certain ones worked while others didn't. Rather weird because all the disks were burned with the same utility (Nero) on the exact same media (Imation).

Yep. Sounds like the CD drive is older than the PC, from the 1990s!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP