Hotkeys all messed up

Idontwantspam

So, just the other day I got a Microsoft Digital Media Pro keyboard (one of these), and a load of other stuff (scanner, USB optical mouse, CD cases, some CAT-5, and lots more, for less than 30 bucks!!!!!). The keyboard came with no install CD, but I was able to download the driver from the M$ website. So anyhow, I got this keyboard for my laptop so that I could have a full-sized keyboard, and because I like all of the extra buttons and hotkeys. So, all was going fine until I tried to use some of the hot keys built in to the laptop keyboard, using the Fn key. Now, when I press Fn-F10, it no longer opens the CD drive, and Fn-F8 no longer seems to toggle the display settings, Fn-F3 doesn't open the battery meter. Fortunately, Fn-F2, the wireless on-off switch, does still work. Now this is even weirder: Fn-UP and Fn-DOWN still brighten or dim the display, but pressing Fn-DOWN will also simultaneously do whatever the Messenger button on the external keyboard is assigned to do. I've disabled that key as a solution, since I rarely use messenger, but it's still odd. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before, and if so, do they know a remedy, other than uninstalling the drivers, which i don't want to do?

All of that functonality is not from the microsoft drivers - that always comes from 3rd party .dll's. Usually if you go to devman and go to properties of mouse/keyboard you'll see a 3rd party applet that let's you configure these settings. devman will also show you what .dll you are using (such as logitech.dll). Make sure you got the right file installed, check version. Uninstall/reinstall the mouse/keyboard

-gosh

No, because it's a Microsoft keyboard, so those "third-party" drivers are actually Microsoft drivers. I downloaded the keyboard software from Microsoft directly. The extra buttons and stuff didn't work when I just plugged in the keyboard, so, I searched microsoft.com and found this, which is what allowed me to configure it. The software is called "IntelliType Pro", and I'm using version 6.1

Edited by Idontwantspam

If you do a clean install of xp the driver that is used for the keyboard does NOT have anything to do with the special buttons on a keyboard, such as a button that let's you send email. You have to use a 3rd party driver. When i say 3rd party, i mean something other than the driver that comes on the xp cd. My point was that since this functionality is in a .dll that you have to download or install, you need to troubleshoot this file, by checking it's version, installing/uninstalling it, or of course redownloading the driver.

-gosh

I'm not talking about the standard drivers!!!!!!! :realmad:

Read:

No, because it's a Microsoft keyboard

Those special buttons are on a Microsoft keyboard. With a special, seperate, not standard XP install, Microsoft driver that I linked to.

Let me reiterate: MICROSOFT keyboard. MICROSOFT driver. That I downloaded separately. It says Microsoft right on the keyboard.

So yeah, I can reinstall the drivers and all, but I just want to clarify that I'm not stupid, and that those are Microsoft drivers.

This is what the control panel for the keyboard looks like. Note how it says Microsoft Intellitype Pro.

post-128497-1184888496_thumb.png

(Pardon my being a hot-head :blushing: , but I thought I had made it sufficiently clear... )