I Think My Hard Drives Are Dying

Brando569

I think its thats time again, during the past few nights ive been getting alot of errors installing stuff and then i found out that both of my hard drives had bad sectors on them (1 on the maxtor and 2 on the wd) so i ran scandisk and that cleared up the errors i got in windows. now ive been trying to install 2003 server and getting rid of vista, but the few times ive actually tried installing it (all other times werevia vmware and they all worked fine) the installation went fine (text based and GUI) but when it would try and boot into windows (right before the loading screen) it gives me the BSOD with the error code 0x0000007A, i looked that up and a few people on a message board said that it could be related to the bios not being able to access the SATA drive, so i messed around with a few things and nothing seemed to work. I decided id try to install it on my IDE drive and see if that would fix it, it didnt :(

This time i figured it might be a problem with the 2003 cd i was using (it was an nlite'd version) so i reflashed my bios to another compatible bios (i was going to do this anyway) and tried a retail version of xp 64 corporate. it went fine with the the text based portion of the xp install (i installed it on the ide drive) but when it rebooted to go into the GUI based portion it gave me a bsod again but this time the error code was 0x000000a (IRQ <= 0).

The maxtor is a diamond max +9 SATA which i had to rma a year after i got it and the WD is an 800JB and its about 6 years old (never really had a problem with it up until now).

later on im going to take one of my dads 74gb raptors and see if the HDDs really are the problem.