disable all sounds and get calculator

Can I disable all sounds like windows startup, shut down a.s.o. in my sif file or somewhere else?

All sounds in control panel>sound and audio devices>sound>program events

Edited by koden

But what about all other things I would like to change from default.

Ex. get the calculator in start menu and a lot og other things.

Is there some place to find this winnt.sif "extras" or reg tweaks "extras"???

Koden,

There is no package of extras, per se. Everyone has their own preferences. Some things are done by registry tweaks, some things require lines in cmd files, some involve switchless installers or addons. Decide what it is you want to change, then do a search for how to do it. You will find lists and sets of registry tweaks in this section of the MSFN forum, but you'll still need to select those tweaks that you want to use.

nLite does a very good job of getting you started in customizing an installation. You can make choices from menus and lists rather than tracking down each item individually. It doesn't cover everything, but it covers a lot.

To add something to the start menu, you can make a shortcut there that will point to any program. You can do the same to put something on the Quick Launch bar or the desktop. I use shortcut.exe which ought to turn up on a search here. I don't recall where I downloaded it from anymore. It creates .lnk files like all of the other shortcuts on your system. You specify the program you want to make the shortcut to and where you want the shortcut to appear. Shortcut.exe can be run from any cmd file like guirunonce or cleanup.cmd.

If you navigate to %UserProfile%\Start Menu and to %AllUsersProfile\Start Menu, you will see all of the shortcuts and folders that already exist on the Start Menu. That will give you an idea of teh structure to follow. You can add shortcuts to the Quick Launch bar the same way. To see what's already there, navigate to %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch. The Desktop items can be seen by navigating to %UserProfile%\Desktop and to %AllUsersProfile\Desktop. Use those paths and the paths to the target programs to create your own shortcuts.

If you don't know what I mean by %UserProfile%, %AllUsersProfile%, or %AppData%, they're system environment variables that contain the paths to those folders. To see the actual paths for your system, open a command prompt and type Set.

Ray