Virtual PC 2007 networking doesn't work

When I try to setup a network in VPC '07, I get problems. I set each machine to use one network adapter; "Local Only". The idea is that they are the same as having an ethernet cable going to a router between each machine. Now the problem is, the different machines don't seem to "see" eachother. When I have three VMs open at once, all using the local only, all connected this is the setup:

• One Server (Windows Server 2003 Enterprise), with a static IP of 192.168.0.2
  • One Workstation (Windows XP Pro), with a static IP of 192.168.0.3
  • Another Workstation with the same configuration as above with a static IP of 192.168.0.4

None of the computers see each other! When I ping one computer from another, there is no response, the server, which is configured to be a DNS server, is not seen when I try nslookup from one of the workstations - nothing! I'm confused. Anyone know what I can do?

Edited by Idontwantspam

Do your physical adapters have the 'Virtual Machine Network Services' bind?

If it is not.. you will need to log on as local admin, not a user account with admin rights.. then install.

Long shot, but did you run the virtual install twice? Or just copy the first one and rename it? If you do the copy .vhd and rename it for the second machine (I do) you can't reuse the .vmc file or both VMs will have the same MAC address.

I only mention this, because I did it once, and it was a PITA to figure out what was going wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay.

Well, I tried reinstalling, that didn't work, then I uninstalled and the installed the Virtual Networking service for my NIC, that didn't work either, then I reset the MAC address on every single machine, and now it's working. They can ping each other perfectly, and can use remote desktop, etc. I can't get the workstations to connect to the server's AD domain, but that's another problem that I think I may have solved.