RIS Flat Image Question

Hi all,

This is my first post, so please pardon my ignorance, but I have a rather elementary RIS question:

How can I use a flat image to image different types of machines with different HALs?

I currently have a RIS server that has been functional for about a year now using RIPREP images. My company uses Compaq/HP workstations, so the problem is that every time a PC model is discontinued and a new one is released, I have to create yet another RIPREP image because the hardware is different. I keep seeing posts on random forums where people say they use 1 flat image for 10 different types of PCs, but no one says HOW they do it. I have Googled for hours and found a ton of RIS information but nothing to answer my specific question.

I would simply like to use one RIS image to load my custom configuration of applications (Office, Anti Virus, PCAnywhere...etc) along with the appropriate drivers for whatever hardware that the PC contains. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance...

• 2 weeks later...

I have about 3 different types of machines that I use RIS for. One thing that I don't do is is RIPREP, I used the unattended guide on this site when I created mine. From there I have added tweaks and programs that our company uses for day to day stuff. Hope this helps.