What's causing fragmentation of system's metadata files?

Macstorm

Hi All

I'm just wondering what's causing deep HD metadata files fragmentation here lately. I was pointing the issue on some new software I had installed recently but they aren't the culprit (uninstalled them for testing but fragmentation persists from time to time). Is there any way to find out what's causing the metadata fragmentation? I run PerfectDisk frequently and never had this problem before.

Thanks

Thanks Kent,

I asked this because I perform manual defrag routines quite often (every 5 days) with PerfectDisk. However, the point is that about 1 month back approx. I'm forced to make off-line defrags (after a system reboot) so Perfectdisk can arrange the metadata files which are managed by the system only. I noticed a permanent fragmentation of such system files since 1 month back. As I said, I never needed to defrag those files before, just had to make regular defrags without rebooting because metadata files never were a problem. The time when this issue first appeared coincides when I installed WindowsLiveMessenger8 and Opera9 softwares (I blamed them for the problem) so I uninstalled them temporarily for testing purposes but nothing changed and reinstalled them again.

I think that 'something' somewhere into my files is causing the rapid fragmentation of 'metadata' files lately but don't know how to identify it :(

I know the newer defraggers can defrag in the background, but that is NOT good both in terms of data safety and solving the fragmentation problem. The best results are obtained by defragging during a minimum boot and leaving it alone to complete. Perhaps all those background defrags have caused this fragmentation.

I know the newer defraggers can defrag in the background, but that is NOT good both in terms of data safety and solving the fragmentation problem. The best results are obtained by defragging during a minimum boot and leaving it alone to complete. Perhaps all those background defrags have caused this fragmentation.

Ok thanks, I guess I'll leave it alone for now :(