Oh dear...

Noggin

Okay, I tried using StyleXP to change my icons...

Didn't work, shut itself down, gave me an error message:

Windows has recovered from a serious error

Then, I tried using ResHacker to hack the SHELL32.dll file...

Didn't work, shut itself down, gave me another error message:

Windows has recovered from a serious error

Is there any other way? (apart from manually which can't change all the icons)

Did you run reshacker in safe mode or normal mode. Usually in safemode you can edit the icons with no errors. or you could copy your shell32.dll, edit it and do a with a batch/cmd file to replace it using runonce at boot up

Edited by phkninja

For starters, stop using StyleXP. Download one of the many Uxtheme patchers instead. (Doesn't XPize have its own patched uxtheme.dll?)

Unfortunately, if StyleXP is your culprit, your best bet is to wipe your drive and reinstall XP.

I used StyleXP for a over a year until I reinstalled XP two weeks ago. This time around I didn't need StyleXP, cuz the Longhorn Inspirat BricoPack comes with a patched uxtheme.dll. Magically, a host of weird and annoying problems went away, problems I had wrongfully assumed were caused by XP or other programs.

As a test, I made an image of the drive, then installed StyleXP. Those same old problems started appearing immediately, so I applied the image backup and they went away.

What I did with this latest overhaul was to install the LI BricoPack, then I applied my own visual style and reshacked the system files with my favorite icons. The LI BricoPack saved me a lot of time because it already had a bunch of nice icons and animations, so I didn't have to reshack much.

Sorry I don't have an easier answer for you.

Edited by coyotewrw

• 2 months later...