Dell OEM and WPA

For anyone who's interested I re-installed an OEM copy of Windows XP Home for a family member last night, using nothing but the original reinstallation CD that came with the PC (and a custom unattend.txt file). I used Dell's "master CD key" found on the CD itself in i386\WINNT.SIF. No product activation was required. I had not copied over any other files, such as with the "backup" or "oembios" methods here:

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/29/

I had the files ready to be manually copied over, but they weren't needed! This was confirmed by typing "oobe/msoobe /a" to bring up a diolauge reporting that Windows was already activated.

That's because the require OEM files for activation already are in the i386 folder. So, if you copied the CD folders to your hard drive to make the unattended, you copied those files, too. That's why when you do a normal reinstall with the OEM Windows XP, no activation is needed.

That's because the require OEM files for activation already are in the i386 folder. So, if you copied the CD folders to your hard drive to make the unattended, you copied those files, too. That's why when you do a normal reinstall with the OEM Windows XP, no activation is needed.

Yes and no... The CD checks to see if you're actually installing the OEM version of XP on a Dell. ;)

I can vouch for this, if you run that disc on another computer it would still install but ask for activation. They use some of the slicker product activation schemes. They also have integrated Intel SATA, that work even without the unattended.sif.

• 4 weeks later...

well after working for dell.....

they pre activate there computers so it is activated when you get it.... but unfortunately if someone steals the product key or cd, and activates another computer your out of luck because you won't be able to reactivate for 120days... microsofts grace period for reinstall....

must back up wpa.dbl and place it back into system32 folder before clicking on activate for a reactivation to work, so if your good... you can get two computers out of a dell install cd.... bad information but it works

wpa.dbl files only work on the same exact processor serial id - that is how microsoft tracks there activations

lslslalalala

The CD checks to see if you're actually installing the OEM version of XP on a Dell. ;)

Actually no checking is done during the install. The fist time WPA checks is during the first boot when Windows is fully installed. This is why a Dell CD can be used to install on a non-Dell system.

For anyone who's interested I re-installed an OEM copy of Windows XP Home for a family member last night, using nothing but the original reinstallation CD that came with the PC (and a custom unattend.txt file). I used Dell's "master CD key" found on the CD itself in i386\WINNT.SIF. No product activation was required.

You can use any factory key with any pre-activated media. In fact MS has a published key specificly for reinstalling preavtivated systems. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...y/oempreac.mspx

You can use any factory key with any pre-activated media. In fact MS has a published key specificly for reinstalling preavtivated systems. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...y/oempreac.mspx

In this paper, XP home is not mentionned. Do you know which key I should use for this OS, or should I stick to your first advice, which is working very fine?

• 10 months later...
The CD checks to see if you're actually installing the OEM version of XP on a Dell. ;)

Actually no checking is done during the install. The fist time WPA checks is during the first boot when Windows is fully installed. This is why a Dell CD can be used to install on a non-Dell system.

Hi,

I happen to have one of those Dell reinstallation cd's that checks if it's a Dell. (Win 2000) I've replaced my original Dell motherboard after it choked with a non Dell mb and of course I can't get past "This can only be installed on a Dell". Any idea how to get around this?

hi! if i may share ... here is a related discussion: Trouble with slipstream Dell OEM Win XP ... i hope you find a thing or 2 that's helpful or enlightening at least ... and PLEASE, should there be any update or resolution you'd come up with, please do update us on the other thread too :) we're very much interested in what you can share ... thanks!

hi Bezalel! would this still push for activation or would there be any legit way to circumvent this already? pretty much a useless OS cd in the box if it couldn't be used in a different machine IMHO :( ... btw, if i may request, perhaps you could drop by this thread: Trouble with slipstream Dell OEM Win XP ... any comment you (or perhaps even xehqter, severach, FreeStyler, Siginet, or anybody from OEMScan - Automated Multi Manufacture Pre-Activation Utility) could share would be valuable ;) ... thanks! Edited by Kiki Burgh

It will install but it will never activate either by Internet or phone. Microsoft knows that the Dell key must preactivate or it is being used on the wrong system. The Dell CD on a non Dell system gives you a Windows that lasts no more than 30 days.

There isn't any legit way to bypass and for Dell there isn't even a non legit way to bypass. The Dell CD is trash without a Dell that includes a COA. Lose your Dell, discard your license.

>pretty much a useless OS cd in the box if it couldn't be used in a different machine IMHO

This wasn't an accident. It was a design goal and it's official Microsoft policy.

>I can't get past "This can only be installed on a Dell". Any idea how to get around this?

You have a Dell restore CD that is locked to a particular model which is useless for anything but that model. The Windows Install CD for Dell Computers does not produce such a message and is useful for most Dell models. Without your Dell motherboard neither CD will be of any use to you.

>Do you know which key I should use for this OS, or should I stick to your first advice

A key obtained via your "first advice" is the correct key for the brand it was obtained from so long as it is an original install or proper factory restore. The keys are all the same so keep using it.

>but unfortunately if someone steals the product key or cd, and activates another computer your out of luck because you won't be able to reactivate for 120days...

This does not apply to the CD key that Dell uses for preactivation. All Dell's get the same key. This allows the CD's to be made at a mastering plant instead of being custom burned for each shipped system.

>must back up wpa.dbl

This doesn't seem to work any more and is not the least bit needed with a preactivated system.

>For anyone who's interested I re-installed an OEM copy of Windows XP Home for a family member last night, using nothing but the original reinstallation CD that came with the PC

Very nice but now that Dell is no longer the #1 brand, what about the rest of us who own the #1 brand? The #1 brand (HP) does not supply a ready made Windows Install CD that works on 99.999% of their product line. Dell's CD works so well that some believe that Dell is the only company that has preactivation. Dell is the only one that preactivated reliably before anyone knew how the process worked.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are using a slipstream process for a Dell, do you simply copy the 4 OEMBIOS files into the i386 directory? I slipstreamed a copy of XP SP2 with all the hotfixes from HFSLIP. Now, when booting up for the first time, I see an activation window. I later learned I need the OEMBIOS files. So I downloaded the Dell OEMBIOS files, but don't know where to place them.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=63258

The entire process is described there. On your old CD and your I386 folder in your SLIP folder you'll find the 4 OEMBIOS files with the underscore (_) on the end. Those are the ones you'll overwrite before writing your boot CD. You also need Dell's key in the WINNT.SIF file. You could type it in during install but that is unnecessarily difficult.