Where do I put ntldr?

sdennis91

Hi. Everywhere I look to make a multiboot xp disk no one knows what or how to setup ntldr. People ask this over and over but the guides and walkthoughs do not specifiy ntldr. However this file is needed no matter what too boot windows xp. So i suggest that all of the people who are having a problem and not getting an answer to speak your mind. We need to know how to boot xp from a multiboot disk when we keep getting the dang error can't find ntldr. I've put this file in all dir's all over the cdrom but it will not boot. I think someone is letting out some useful info and making us users very well ticked off. I tried easyboot and that **** program does the same thing when i go to boot. it says can't find ntldr. I'm glad they make virtual pc's or we people would have a hell of a lot of coasters cause some d******* will not tell us what to do with ntldr. So please tell us at this fourm what we are suppose to do with ntldr before i figure out on my own and post it on this fourm and show all you know it all's that know nothing how to do this ntldr cause its gotten me p***ed off.

First off I suggest you calm down. :whistle:

Then, cannot find ntldr is not caused by a missing file (it could be but let's check other thing first)

The first thing to know is this message is a simple warning comming from the BIOS of your PC. It is just telling you that it cannot find a boot string on the hard drive.

If you want to boot from a CD, you have to make sure that the CD-ROM drive has priority over the Hard Disk in the boot sequence of the PC. If not, your BIOS won't look at your CD and you will get this kind of message you are complaining about.

To enter the BIOS of your computer, you have to hit the DEL key (it can be another key depending on the manufacturer)

Check this first and come back to us

HI I checked this out and it didn't fix the problem. Is there a program out there that will do these boot menu's where u don't have to edit bin's. I think the dat's are the problem. No one wants to upload premade dat files but they upload the origanal dat files for bootsectors. Its possible that an eval of ultraedit won't save the file correctly and microsoft has such retards working for them that they may not let us edit there files or use them for a boot. I don't know but i just want to make my own cd to use since they say its illegal to download and use other cd's that people make such d*******s at microsoft they need to stop it with there stupid garbage and let us people do what we want with software we buy. Or else make the software cheaper so we can afford it without having to pirate stuff. All this s*** p***es me off and no one has an answer to any of us to make a boot cd of xp.

Ok,

second step...

Have you build a simple Windows CD with only one boot sector using EasyBoot for example?

If you follow the documentation provided in EasyBoot, you should be able to

Create Windows XP bootable CD

1) copy directory i386 from  Windows XP CD to C:\EasyBoot\disk1

2) copy win51 to C:\EasyBoot\disk1

for Windows XP Home Edition, copy  win51ic to C:\EasyBoot\disk1

for Windows XP Professional, copy  win51ip to C:\EasyBoot\disk1

3) (Optional) copy autorun.inf, readme.htm, setup.exe  to C:\EasyBoot\disk1

6) (Optional) create directory C:\EasyBoot\disk1\SP, put all files needed (such as IE6, Windows XP sp1) here

Please make sure you have the following files:

C:\EasyBoot\disk1\ezboot\w2ksect.bin

C:\EasyBoot\disk1\i386\bootfix.bin

C:\EasyBoot\disk1\i386\setupldr.bin

C:\EasyBoot\disk1\win51

C:\EasyBoot\disk1\win51ic or  C:\EasyBoot\disk_xp\win51ip

2. Make  ISO file
Run “Program Files”->"EasyBoot"->"EasyBoot", click "Make ISO" button, the dialog will appear:

1)select CD file directory to 'C:\EasyBoot\disk1' (default)

2)(MUST) set boot image to 'C:\EasyBoot\disk1\ezboot\w2ksect.bin'

3)use default option, select "Joliet" if you need to keep filenames with small letter

4)set CD Volume to ' WINXP'

5)set output ISO file to 'C:\EasyBoot\iso\winxp.iso'

6)click "Make" button to generate bootable CD image file

Yes i can make a standalone xp pro cdrom but i want to add home to it as well. If i make a pro only disk then easyboot will boot from it. but if i put my files in dir's to make a dual boot cdrom and edit the files listed it will not boot. it says can't find ntldr. As long as i have the i386 folder under easyboot/disk1 its fine since i don't edit the bin files and the dat files etc. its just odd.

Ok,

now i'll get straight to the end:

In order to boot from a renamed folder (once I386), you have to edit 2 .bin files

follow this and watch for I or i 386

Here is a step by step instruction for adding Windows XP (English version):
1) Make a folder named 'xpen' under 'c:\easyboot\disk1'
2) Copy 'win51' and 'win51p' (from root directory of original CD) to 'c:\easyboot\disk1'
3) Copy I386 folder to 'c:\easyboot\disk1\xpen'
4) Copy wxp.bat from 'c:\easyboot\resource' to 'c:\easyboot\disk1\xpen', and run it there
5) Copy w2ksect.bin in 'c:\easyboot\disk1\ezboot' to a new file xpen.bin
6) Start EasyBoot, click 'Tools'->'Replace Text', browse file 'c:\easyboot\disk1\ezboot\xpen.bin', and specify 'I386' as "Text to Replace", 'XPEN' as "Replace to", then click 'Replace', 1 occurence should be replaced
7) Do step 6 to 'c:\easyboot\disk1\xpen\setupldr.bin', and replace 'i386' to 'xpen', 4 occurences should be replaced
8) Open 'c:\easyboot\disk1\xpen\txtsetup.sif' by NotePad (or UltraEdit), search for 'SetupSourcePath', and change [SetupSourcePath = "\"] to [SetupSourcePath = "\XPEN"] (not include [])
9) Set the menu item's command as 'run xpen.bin'
10) Save menu file

I should add that with this method, you will now have a proper BOOT folder (wich contain setupldr.bin) and also you will be able to put your source files anywhere you want as long as you specify the correct path under txtsetup.sif under the SetupSourcePath = "\xxxx"

remember that this path is the root of the source files where the I386 folder stand (and $OEM$ folder if you go Unattended). Do not point inside the I386 folder it won't work.

2 more things,

If you want to go Unattended, you'll have to move your Winnt.sif inside I386 to your newly created boot folder.

Next, if you have some problems during the Windows Installation I suggest you use this method to obtain you boot folder:

http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com/xpprosp1.htm

This one saved me because my installation are in French and Setup was complaining about missing files.

But if you are using an English version, the method used in EasyBoot (wxp.bat) should work perfectly to provide your boot folder

EDIT: This is a Real Crash Course!!!

I tried that but it won't work. No matter what i do i keep getting can't find ntldr. This is why i'm so mad. i'm about ready to try to boot from a xp boot floppy called img the old way like windows 98 was. these stupid bin files are running me to hell fast. leave it up to a retard from microsoft to make a bootable cd in a way that is so annoying.

It seems to me that you are giving up too fast!

Please provide us more details and only go one step at a time then test every step to make sure everything is working fine.

We'll help you if you provide enough details...

P.S. I always use EasyBoot to edit my .BIN files and it works like a charm

First step i do is under c:\easyboot\disk1 is make a folder called pro1.

Step 2 i copy the i386 folder and the win51 and win51p files to c:\easyboot\disk1\pro1

step 3 I copy wxp.bat to the folder called pro1 and i run it.

step 4 i edit c:\easyboot\disk1\pro1\setupldr.bin and replace i386 with pro1

step 5 i edit c:\easyboot\disk1\pro1\txtsetup.sif under setupsorce to /pro1

step 6 i edit pro1.bin and replace all i386 with pro1

step 7 i make the iso with easyboot

Now when i go to boot with the cd the easyboot menu comes up. i choose windows xp from the list which is pointed towards pro1.bin. Once i press to run that it says ntldr not found. Did i do something wrong in my steps or what.

well i gave my directions of how i did it but no one gives a f*** about this deal. i'm gonna sit down and figure out how to run it without ntldr and strip ntldr off the f***ing cd and ram it up all of your a**'es and microsoft's a** too cause ntldr can f*** off and kiss my a**. and all of you who got your cd's to work good for you and thanks for not sharing how you did it or what you do. also thanks for telling us noobs the wrong infomation and not caring while you sit back and laugh at all of us p***ed of people.

I wasn't on the forum after 5:00PM (Christmas Party) but I'm glad you finally made it according to my reading in this topic: HERE

BUT THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT BUDDY!

If you have followed the instruction to the letter it would have worked a lot easier for you and

NEVER BLAME OTHERS FOR YOUR FAILURE!

also thanks for telling us noobs the wrong infomation and not caring while you sit back and laugh at all of us p***ed of people
I'm tired of not getting a bootable cd cause you guys can't help a person.
i'm gonna sit down and figure out how to run it without ntldr and strip ntldr off the f***ing cd and ram it up all of your a**'es
and all of you who got your cd's to work good for you and thanks for not sharing how you did it or what you do.
telling us to do s*** that don't work. its not fun when people tell us stuff that is bull and we do it over and over and get no where. for once in a lifetime will someone help us the f*** out. fix our f***ing ntldr problem now.
All this s*** p***es me off and no one has an answer to any of us to make a boot cd of xp.

I think I would be appropriate for you to EXCUSE YOURSELF

I had enough, this will be reported to the forum admin...