Bootable CDs +.../$OEM/ +ISO FileSystem, together

I'm going through MSFN's Official Unattended XP CD Guide. Learning lots of things (asides from what i wanted to do) GGRREEAATT work!

..:: AIM: (What i'm trying to do) ::..

1. Create a XP-CD
  2. slipstream SP1a into this XP-CD(NOT SP2)
    • SP2, according to my understanding, hasn't been tested on networks, and is known to create problems there. Hence i'm working (still) with SP1a.

[*] add network drivers to automatically be installed BY this XP-CD, specifically...

[*] Finally, use this CD and build a PC.

..:: PROBLEM: ::..

I have extracted my network drivers into an $OEM$/$1/ directory as directed.

Now, when trying to create my Bootable CD using Easy CD Creator i am following the guide provided by The ElderGeek. Most other sites have similar directions... in particular in the area where i'm facing a problem, which is (!)...

Easy CD Creator (and other software that i've tried) will not allow me to keep the name $OEM$ or $1 for a folder when creating a Bootable CD through an ISO(ISO9660). The problem doesn't arise when creating on a Joliet File system, but (1) i understand bootable CDs HAVE to be ISO, and (2) when i did try to create it with a Joliet File System it crashed on me and didn't work <_<... as was mentioned in most sites.

The gif file attached shows first the 3 dialog boxes by which i set the CD properties. The dialog box below shows the error that i get. Cancel doesn't allow u to add the file

Is there a way around this, to achieve the aims listed? :blink:

..:: (extra) DETAILS: (What i've completed in that list. You don't really need to read this, since the problem is stated above. But then i'm not a pro... hence, just for clarity i provide the details ) ::..

I've been able to slipstream SP1a into an XP CD and tested that by installing (on Virtual PC) my (new) XPSP1a CD on my test machine. Works!

Note: I followed the guide by The ElderGeek to 'Create A Bootable Windows XP Installation CD Slipstreamed with SP1(a)'

I also created my $OEM$ folder and extracted my network driver into it.

Created my answer file, here it is (just for completion):

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
   AutoPartition=1
   MsDosInitiated="0"
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula=Yes
;    OemPreinstall=No
 OemPreinstall=Yes
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
 UnattendSwitch="yes"
 DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
 OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\00_WinXP"

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword= <<BLANKED OUT>>
   EncryptedAdminPassword=Yes
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=150
   OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
   ProductID= <<BLANKED OUT>>
   FullName="Shams Hasan Test"
   OrgName="Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar"
   ComputerName=*

[Display]
   Xresolution=1024
   YResolution=768

[TapiLocation]
   CountryCode=974
   AreaCode=974

[RegionalSettings]
   LanguageGroup=1
   Language=00000409

[Identification]
   JoinWorkgroup=WRKGRPSHMS

[Networking]
   InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

Side note (of interest): This topic covers a completely different issue, however it follows on from what i was trying to solve in Topic 29103: RIS install of XP from Win Server 2003, HELP! The attempt here is to do something else but related towards what i was trying to achieve there. In short: One step back (hopefully) to take a couple of steps forward! :thumbup

post-70-1097044138_thumb.png

I tried using CDIMAGE.EXE through the 'ISO Creator for WinXP Pro.cmd' batch file provided @ http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/finish.htm. The ISO image was created fine.

Is Easy CD Creator a viable tool to burn ISO images? (i'm new to this) Coz i just popped that ISO file into a new bottable project and said burn on Easy CD Creator. That didn't work. Infact bring the file back to machine that i burned it on (to look at what had happened)... the CD wasn't even bootable. only had the one file. click on it and it opens up Easy CD Creator?¿? Questions:

1. Is Easy CD Creator a viable tool to burn ISO images?
  2. Should i have, when creating this new project (in Easy CD Creator), selected it as a bootable CD.
    • This asks for a boot.bin file to be loaded, but i thought that 'ISO Creator for WinXP Pro.cmd' already took care of this.

[*] would having a boot.bin file already in my C:/XPCD directory screw up the 'ISO Creator for WinXP Pro.cmd' process?

My next move is to run CDIMAGE directly from CMD prompt such:

CDIMAGE.EXE -lWXPCCP_EN -t12/31/2002,12:00:00 -h -j1 -m C:\XPCD C:\WXPCCP_EN.ISO

Before i do that i wanted to confirm... the option/switch should be -j1. no other -j# ?

Although now that i look at the actual batch file (and what CDIMAGE does... :unsure: by directly running that line of code at the command prompt i won't really achieve anything. Advise me...

Thanks

Shams

btw, Changing to 'Long File Names' doesn't work... just for completeness

ok... so (yeah... still can't seem to get it right ) :crazy:

• i've got the entire content (follow up on threads above the first thread in particular contains all the details) at C:\XPCD
  • i have CDIMAGE.EXE placed @ C:\
  • i have BOOTIMG.BIN placed @ C:\ as well
    • Question: having a different or the same BOOT.BIN file some where else within C:/XPCD/... won't affect anything, correct? it shouldn't.

[*] i run at command prompt:

C:\> CDIMAGE.EXE -lWXPCCP_EN -h -n -bBOOTIMG.BIN -o -m C:\XPCD C:\WXPCCP_EN.ISO

• out pops WXPCCP_EN.ISO ... so far so good!

<Now i guess from this point on i am confused, coz i feel this is where it all messes up>

• Open up Easy CD creator --> Add the ISO file to be burned (THAT'S ALL!)
  • in [File -> CD Project Properties] i set as shown in the attached GIF file (Top two figures)
  • Then i let Roxio rip... and it burns... CD cooked and out it pops.
  • pop the CD into another machine that already has XP in it.
  • CD: (1) doesn't Auto Play (or Auto boot either on reboot). (2) doesn't even have anything that remotely looks like an XP CD. (3) see the last 2 figures in attached GIF file (with comments)... that's the contents... :wacko:

what am i doing wrong?¿

THANKS! (ahead of time)

Shams

post-70-1097071241_thumb.png

You have to select something like Burn ISO in EZ CD Creator. Do not add it as a file to a compilation.

E.g. Selection like: Burn data cd, burn audio cd, burn mp3 cd or burn iso.

Or just right click on your WXPCCP_EN.ISO file and select "Open With" and from there select Easy CD Creator and by default it should open it up in ISO burning mode.......that is if that is even your problem. But like MHz said, it sounds like you're just adding the ISO to the list of files to be burned onto the disc which isn't gonna work.

Or just right click on your WXPCCP_EN.ISO file and select "Open With" and from there select Easy CD Creator and by default it should open it up in ISO burning mode.......

tried that... didn't work. See graphics attached EZ.GIF, part 1, in white.

-=-=-=-=-

You have to select something like Burn ISO in EZ CD Creator. Do not add it as a file to a compilation.

E.g. Selection like: Burn data cd, burn audio cd, burn mp3 cd or burn iso.

Then i tried (MHz's advise) to open EX CD Creator -> [File -> New CD Project]

The options available at this point are:

• Data CD
  • Music CD
  • MP3 CD
  • Mixed-Mode CD
  • Enhanced CD
  • Bootable CD
  • Data DVD

So there's no options to 'burn iso' :wacko:

What am i missing?¿

EZ.GIF, part 2, in blue - shows what i see.

-=-=-=-=-

I noticed one thing, while i was trying things. I have ISOBuster and when i open my ISO file through there it opens up and i can see the content of the CD and it's bootable. ... just need to figure out how to burn it now!

Should i go ahead and extract the iso image using ISOBuster? But that's a step backwards (undoing excactly what CDIMAGE did). :blink:

This is the yellow (part 3)

Shams

post-70-1097133192_thumb.png