Dell Network Drivers

Socky

Hello All,

I have been adding network drivers to a custom PE image for all of the systems supported by our infrastructure. The idea is to use the custom build disk to connect to a network location for automated master installations or ghost imaging. I have used the following script to inject network drivers to my image, as per Microsoft's documentation. I have been getting very unpredictable results -espeically with Dell systems, and since we run about 1200 Dells, this is a large problem.

After using the script, I get a message that the INF has been added to the image but when i test it and fire up an ipconfig i get this IP: 0.0.0.0. If i do a release renew, i then get a 169.x.x.x IP.

Any information somebody could provide which would remedy this problem would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Socky

----InjectInfToPE.bat-----

set build_x86=%c:\WinpeStage\build_x86%

set driverLocation=%C:\Share\Drivers\Ins6400\WinXP\b44win.inf%

set customPE=%C:\winpe%

cd\

cd %build_x86%

drvinst.exe /inf:%driverLocation% %customPE%

pause

------EndOfScript------

Hi,

Are u using WinPE 2005? If possible move to WinPE 2.0 which contains much better support for adding drivers in my opinon! However, if not possible, then make sure that the .inf that u r trying to add using the drvinst.exe does not pop a error message. This normally happens when there is a .inf problem, maby the .inf points out a faulty .sys file (might be intended for w2k and so on) and that would stop the process for adding the driver to ur custom image. We are also using Dell computers (about 30 models including servers) but I didnt have any issues when I was running WinPE 2005 to do the work..... maby I can backtrack and see if we used that specific driver u r refering to! Another thing, does it work when u add the driver manually to the custom image? not using drvinst.exe? Which Dell model is causing the error for u? I suspect it is the Inspiron 6400? That is however one model that we are not supporting....

Edited by Br4tt3