Creative SB Live 5.1 Sound Card Driver

tonyr1988

I was kind of surprised that by SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Sound Card wasn't automatically working in WinXP, but it's no problem. Just gotta get a driver, right?

I downloaded the one off of Creative's website, and it gives me:

Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Audio card on your system.

Please ensure that your Sound Blaster hardware is properly installed before running this Setup program.

Setup will now exit.

I know that the sound card is installed correctly, and that I have the correct model / driver. It works fine in my Ubuntu installation. What else could be wrong?

Is there a way to force WinXP to scan for new hardware?

I was kind of surprised that by SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Sound Card wasn't automatically working in WinXP, but it's no problem. Just gotta get a driver, right?

Please ensure that your Sound Blaster hardware is properly installed before running this Setup program.

Setup will now exit.

I know that the sound card is installed correctly, and that I have the correct model / driver. It works fine in my Ubuntu installation. What else could be wrong?

Right click on My computer -> Choose Manage -> Choose Device Manager

Now on the right side you have devices. Do you have there Unknown device (with ?) next to it or with (!)?

If not left click on any device on right side of window. Then on the top of window new icon shows up that says "Scan for new hardware changes". Press it and wait to see if anything is detected.

The Creative driver isn't signed so Windows will not even try to install it. In the "Install New Hardware" wizard select "I will manually select the driver to install", choose "All Devices" and finally point to the extracted .inf via the "Have Disk" button.

Setup will now exit.

Right click on My computer -> Choose Manage -> Choose Device Manager

Now on the right side you have devices. Do you have there Unknown device (with ?) next to it or with (!)?

If not left click on any device on right side of window. Then on the top of window new icon shows up that says "Scan for new hardware changes". Press it and wait to see if anything is detected.

There is a "Other Devices -> Multimedia Audio Controller" listed, with a yellow questionmark and a !. (I also scanned for new hardware changes, just in case :D).

It says there's no driver installed, and that's about all it says. It's got the right PCI slot and everything, so that's a plus. :)

The Creative driver isn't signed so Windows will not even try to install it. In the "Install New Hardware" wizard select "I will manually select the driver to install", choose "All Devices" and finally point to the extracted .inf via the "Have Disk" button.

There is no extracted .inf file. It only gave me an *.exe file, which gives an error and exits.

go to driverpacks.net download Sound Drivers. Unpack, find the right driver. Go to DeviceManager (choose the device you have with (?!). Right click on it. Choose update driver or similar and choose path to driver there. It should install correct drivers.

go to driverpacks.net download Sound Drivers. Unpack, find the right driver. Go to DeviceManager (choose the device you have with (?!). Right click on it. Choose update driver or similar and choose path to driver there. It should install correct drivers.

Whew - it finally works. Thanks a ton for all of your help. I'm still kind of surprised that it wasn't auto-detected, but I'm happy - it all ended well. :)