Network install via cmdlines.txt

It's my understanding that it's easier to add programs to my install through cmdlines.txt then it is through [GuiRunOnce)? Because that way the software installs are part of the install process as opposed to having to have someone logon to install the programs?

But I also always thought that you couldn't install accross a network with cmdlines.txt. That the install files would have to be copied to the computer during the setup. Now I've found some sites that say it can be done. But they both tell a different story of how to do it.

Can anyone give me a suggestion as to which site has the better suggestion or if there is another suggestion?

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/Articl...3890/13890.html says that I just have to start the line in my batch file with ".\net use <drive letter>: \\<server>\<share> /user:<domain>\<user> [<password>] /persistent:no" to get it working.

http://www.bootix.com/support/problems_sol...dlines_txt.html says that I have to:

CAUSE

This problem is documented in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 314543. It is caused by a missing entry in the hivesys.inf file, so that the following registry key is not created:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlset\Control\NetworkProvider\Order

RESOLUTION

Locate the hivesys.inf file on the Windows XP distribution share and open it with a text editor. Locate the following line in the hivesys.inf file:

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\HwOrder",,0x00000012

Using the copy and paste function of your text editor, duplicate this line, so that you get two identical text lines. In the second (duplicated) line, change "HwOrder" to "Order". The result should look like this:

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\HwOrder",,0x00000012

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order",,0x00000012

Save and then close the hivesys.inf file.

MORE INFORMATION

See Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 314543 titled "Error Message 'The Workstation Service Has Not Been Started' When Using Cmdlines.txt".

In order to gain access to a command prompt during the graphical (GUI mode) setup of an unattended Windows installation, press SHIFT+F10 (see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 242380 titled "How to Use a Command Prompt During GUI-Mode Setup".