Manually slipstreaming KB931768 (for IE6)

Hi:

I'm updating my nLited Windows XP Pro SP2 CD, still using IE 6 (IE 7 not integrated), and I have the following question:

Since nLite is unable to slipstream KB931768 (cumulative update for IE 6), I'm slipstreaming this hotfix by hand. I've unpacked the hotfix, and I've checked the update\update_SP2QFE.inf file. Pay attention to this section of that file:

[ProductInstall.ReplaceFilesIfExist]
DelFiles=Cache.Delfiles
CopyFiles=System32.files
CopyFiles=program_files.internet_explorer
DelFiles=System32.Delfiles

[System32.Delfiles]
plugin.ocx

As you can see, this update removes a previous system file (plugin.ocx). Therefore, can I remove this file (plugin.ocx) from the installation source (CD) since this file is no longer needed? I know must update DOSNET.INF and TXTSETUP.SIF files, but I'm not sure if this action will produce problems in the near future...

Any advise?

Edited by ponghy

Yes, that file can safely be removed.

Check out this quote from the FAQ of Ryan's update pack :

Why does setuperr.log compain about plugin.ocx being missing?

As of the KB912945 update from Microsoft, plugin.ocx is now obsolete and deleted during the normal installation of any Cumulative Internet Explorer Update. Therefore, I also remove the file during Update Pack integration. However, I can't remove it in such a way as to not get that error without hacking other files which goes against my "no unsigned files" policy. Therefore, setuperr.log complains. However, the message is 100% safe to ignore because the file is obsolete.

Source : http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/faq.html

Edit: Forgot to add source link.

Edited by Martin H