Cannot import from Outlook Express 6 to Outlook 9

pzbrawl

I can export from OE 6 in 2 ways---copy *.dbx from the mail folder, or export to an outlook.pst file.

Outlook 9 (Outlook 2000) will have nothing to do with either export result. It "cannot open" the folder holding the dbxs (even though the folder is marked shared, and the PC in question can read & write to the folder!), and it does not understand the .pst file.

Surely there is a way to move mail from OE6 to O9!? What is it?

PB

You should be able to do both!

First, I just tried this. Outlook was open. I opened OE6 and used the export function. It didn't let me choose where I wanted to export to - it only allowed me to export to Outlook (or Exchange) and the default .pst (or .ost) file. I created and new message in OE and placed it in the Drafts folder and then exported just that folder.

Switching over to Outlook the file was there in the drefts folder, so it exported it correctly.

Outlook also has an Import function which includes various other programs as well as OE 4,5, and 6. Having the folder marked "shared" has nothing to do with it. Close OE before you attempt an import. That may be locking the folder and causing your problem. In the worst case you can copy the entire contents (don't forget any index files which may be hidden) to another folder and use that one to import from.

See if one of those doesn't work for you before you take a more drastic step ( Export as csv then import from that, etc).

Hope this helps.