Users in XP Home

Hi there,

I made an XP Home unattended DVD and I ran in to some problems regarding the users. What I want is to just use the Administrator account and to automatically log in. The thing is XP Home creates an "Eigenaar" account (Dutch for Owner). So all my config files etc fail because they point to the "Administrator" account. I tried deleting the "Eigenaar account", and that works but now I can't log in at all, there are just no users when I normally boot. Of course I can log in safe mode and do the job, but I need it to be unatteded. How do I get the normal User behaviour (like XP Pro)?

Well I got this from this site somewhere, and have used it ever since with no problems.

Save this code in a file called install.cmd or whatever else you want in the $OEM$ folder

set _USER=Username
net user %_USER% "" /add >nul
net localgroup administrators "%_USER%" /add>nul
%SystemRoot%\system32\reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v "DefaultUserName" /d "%_USER%" /f
%SystemRoot%\system32\reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v "DefaultUserPassword" /d "" /f
%SystemRoot%\system32\reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v "AutoAdminLogon" /d "1" /f

If you haven't already, create a file called cmdlines.txt also in the $OEM$ folder containing this code

[COMMANDS]
".\install.cmd"

Just make sure the filename you specify in cmdlines.txt is the same as the filename you save the first section of code as.

This will create the username that you use as administrator and automatically login with it. Hope this helps

Edited by CmdrX3

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion, but it doesn't work here. It display's an error message:

"Windows cannot log in because of account restrictions" (or something like this, I translated from Dutch)

Hmm. I used a slightly different, but similar method. I used two files - both in the $OEM$ folder.

useraccounts.cmd

net user Bolus123 passwordhere /add
net localgroup Administrators Bolus123 /add
net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited
REGEDIT /S autologon.reg
EXIT

and

autologon.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultUserName"="Bolus123"
"DefaultPassword"="passwordhere"
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

The AutoAdminLogon can be set to more if you want. But then you can use TweakUI to do that too.

You can use the first file to set up more user accounts, too if you want, but the login default will be to the oneyou set here.

Hope that helps.