HD Cache Not Working

websquad

I am running Windows XP SP2, with latest fixes per the Feb 07 Patch Tuesday, 1.5 GB RAM, Pentium 4 @ 2.0 GHz, three hard disks with 21.1 GB free space on system drive (c:).

About 4-6 weeks ago I started having performance problems. Hibernation was painfully slow. When hard disks were idle and they had to start again because of demand, the mouse and all other activity would freeze up until the HD operation was completed.

About the time the HD cache stopped working, I installed an ATI Radeon 9200 dual-head AGP graphics adapter and a second monitor, with latest AGI driver and Net Framework 2.0 (1.1 is still installed). Can't understand what, if anything, this would have to do with disk caching...

I selected Properties on my C drive, "hardware", the first disk specified (Quantum FireballP AS40.0), properties for that drive, then "Policies", and got the screen "Write caching and Safe Removal" ... the contents of the screen were grayed out, as if the hard drive did not provide the "Optimize for performance" or "Optimize for quick removal" choice ... while the enable cache option was clicked, both were grayed out, which is indicative of current performance.

I could change the power scheme under Power Options Properties, but I'd rather not.

Any suggestions?