Same files names!

m.i.l.e.s

Hi people.

I am creating a new set of 2K3 RIS images for deployment at work. Originally i had intended to have images containing the NIC/RAID/CHIPSET/VIDEO etc drivers for both our current platform (Bensley) and our old platform (Lindenhurst). I ran into problems however when Lindenhurst drivers had the same filenames as the Bensley drivers. So.....i decided to have two sets of images - one for each platform.

One set of images contains all of the NIC/RAID/CHIPSET etc etc drivers for the Intel Bensley Platform - this is done and works fine.

The next problem comes when i discover that there are Lindenhurst drivers with the same name, for example two drivers using symmpi.sys, and two using nodev.inf and txtsetup.inf etc etc. The problem comes of course when copying the .sys, .cat, .inf files to the TEXTSETUP and i386 directories and being prompted to overwrite.

Is there any way around this??? its driving me crazy now - i dont want so many images that the people relying on the server dont know whats in each image but i dont think you can just rename files or add directories under the TEXTSETUP and i386 folders.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Miles

Don't quote me on this but probably if you will put correct information into .inf and any other place you need to after you rename .sys file and .cat files everything should be fine. Just you will always have to remember that especially when new drivers comes out and you will have to prepare them again and again and again. I'm sure someone more experienced on drivers then me like IceMan or Bashrat should easly answer this.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it would be great if someone more experienced did post in here. Dont know why i bother with this place to be honest

I have had several problems, searched the forum to no avail and posted up a question (as per the rules) I know not everyone integrates so many drivers into an image but someone must have had a similar problem.

Thanks for your time to read this question though MadBoy

Regards,

Miles

au revoir to the forum that never replies!

Take it easy, m.i.l.e.s. People are not here at your beck 'n' call. If no-one replies then no-one replies. To be fair you haven't contributed much to this Forum. 5 posts, and 2 of them here. Be patient and maybe, just maybe you'll get a solution to your problem. :w00t:

Take it easy, m.i.l.e.s. People are not here at your beck 'n' call. If no-one replies then no-one replies. To be fair you haven't contributed much to this Forum. 5 posts, and 2 of them here. Be patient and maybe, just maybe you'll get a solution to your problem. :w00t:

Exactly ;) This forum has given a lot of help. Problem is if your question is something not much ppl done before it might take some time to answer this. Problems with hw/drivers are very specific and aint easy. Don't take anything as granted m.i.l.e.s. People here do have jobs, families, other responsibilities then sitting on forum and when seeing the question and not knowing the answer going and testing it out for you. Actually m.i.l.e.s the simplest solution for you I can give to you is to actually rename some sys, cat and change info in .inf file and try to see if Windows picks it up. Test it on one driver (within Windows) by Plug & Play.

For example:

1. Install Windows without any drivers integrated

2. Find some device that isn't discovered by default

3. Rename all files, change info in .inf files

4. Go to Device Manager and make it pick it up by Update driver option or so (you know the drill)

If it works you might also want to try the automated version for that (on diffrent driver/device also being unknown for this system).

1. Add path to driver to registrydevicepath in Registry (I hope you know the full path, i am too lazy to paste it ;p)

2. Go to device manager

3. Remove device from system

4. Press Plug&Play redetection button

Now if Windows picks it up without any problems i'm sure you can positive on effects for your other methods.

To be honest when i posted first time to you and said "i am not sure" it's because i didn't tested this but i can't see why this wouldn't work if you keep everything tight and pointing into right directions. Only thing that could be broken is signing drivers but also not positive on that. I don't have enough time to test this stuff for you but i am sure you can manage to do it yourself. Afterall you are the one having problem.

Bashrat/IceMan would prolly know this as they got into .inf files preety much a lot (IceMan due to his backup tool for drivers) and Bashrat because of his driver packs. But as I know they are Busy in Real Lifes.

Hope this helps you and when you have positive effects go ahead and post solution that can be used by others.