local policy template vs .reg tweak imports?

Leeoniya

I've been using registry tweaks for a long time and after countless testing have come up with my optimal tweak collection. A lot of sytems i build for others, i incorporate at least some if not all of them for speed improvements, usability enhancements, security and the-like.

I have recently been looking through the local policy editor and was wondering if it would be better (or possible) to import a policy template instead of using straight .reg tweaks, since most tweaks are in there and it is easy to make different custom templates for different purpose systems.

does anyone do this? I figured it would be better than tweaks, even though tweaks work well, it seems more reliable to do as much as possible with the system-provided resources to avoid errors and such than can result from accidentally modified text reg files or incomplete entries.

regards,

Leon

I've been using registry tweaks for a long time and after countless testing have come up with my optimal tweak collection. A lot of sytems i build for others, i incorporate at least some if not all of them for speed improvements, usability enhancements, security and the-like.

I have recently been looking through the local policy editor and was wondering if it would be better (or possible) to import a policy template instead of using straight .reg tweaks, since most tweaks are in there and it is easy to make different custom templates for different purpose systems.

does anyone do this? I figured it would be better than tweaks, even though tweaks work well, it seems more reliable to do as much as possible with the system-provided resources to avoid errors and such than can result from accidentally modified text reg files or incomplete entries.

regards,

Leon

I like tweaks! I use tweaks! On the typical XP computer, I get close to a 100% increase in system performance with my 'tweaks', shutting down redundant Services and a general (very thorough) HD cleaning.

For a long time I did them manually in 'Regedit', but doing that took a long time and there was always the possibility of my dislexia or auldtimers disease causing a miscomboble.

Then some very nice "Gnome' " came to my rescue and put all the critical tweaks into one little registry script.

Now, it only takes a second or two to incorporate my 'Tweaks' and there's no longer the threat of me screwing it up somehow.

Shutting down redundant Services is now in a neat little batch file. Touche!

I also use my own "cleanup.bat" file to remove all the old temp files, etc. from the HD.

Using scripts, batch files, etc., greatly speeds up the process of tuning up a PC. :thumbup

Cheers!

OG

Then some very nice "Gnome' " came to my rescue and put all the critical tweaks into one little registry script.

Now, it only takes a second or two to incorporate my 'Tweaks' and there's no longer the threat of me screwing it up somehow.

Shutting down redundant Services is now in a neat little batch file. Touche!

I also use my own "cleanup.bat" file to remove all the old temp files, etc. from the HD.

Using scripts, batch files, etc., greatly speeds up the process of tuning up a PC. :thumbup

Cheers!

OG

Sheesh OldGoat43, stop teasing us like that already and share how to make the Gnome's script & bat file! ;) I re-built my system last week and am STILL tweaking it...