VMWare virtual machine and screen resolution from .sif file

mellimik

I have a problem with my virtual machines that are installed using RIS. Even though the .sif file says this:

[Display]
BitsPerPel = 32
XResolution = 800
YResolution = 600
VRefresh = 60

After a reboot and during the initial login I can see that the resolution is still 640x480. This creates a problem because some applications won't install using such a low resolution (i know, it's stupid from the application point of view).

Might someone have an idea why this happens? I'm using VMWare Server 1.0.1 and installing Windows XP machines with RIS.

If you don't install a display driver from the OemPnpDriversPath that is valid for the machine, it will default to 640 x 480, no exceptions. You NEED to have a valid, extracted driver set in the OemPnpDriversPath, or have a video card that works out of the box (and you won't in VMWare or VirtualPC / Virtual Server), otherwise the [Display] portion of winnt.sif will not be used.

If you don't install a display driver from the OemPnpDriversPath that is valid for the machine, it will default to 640 x 480, no exceptions. You NEED to have a valid, extracted driver set in the OemPnpDriversPath, or have a video card that works out of the box (and you won't in VMWare or VirtualPC / Virtual Server), otherwise the [Display] portion of winnt.sif will not be used.

Ok, thanks. This means i have to search for the correct driver under VMWare installation folder.

Hint:

windows.iso

Thanks :rolleyes: I actually already got that after digging deeper with our dear friend Google :thumbup

Those fighting with the same problem, VMWare Tools can be found as an .MSI package inside windows.iso file, this file also contains PnP drivers for Windows that you can use with the .sif file(s).