Configure standart %userprofile%

Ambrosia

Hi there !

Well, it is not easy to explain, but I will try : when deleting the content of %allusersprofile%, it concerns obviously every users. But what then if the content is located in %userprofile% only and not in %allusersprofile% ? Of course, you can modify the content, but when creating a new user session, it will restore it. Besides, is it possible to apply some registry setting that are normaly located in HKCU to HKLM ?

Exemple :

-Deleting "Microsoft Update.lnk" form %allusersprofile% make it be permanently deleted for all session.

=> OK, THAT IS WHAT I WANT

-You delete Internet Explorer link from start menu of the session USER1. After creating the session USER2, Internet Explorer link is back. I presume it is because there is somewhere the default content stored, but I don't jnow where.

=> HOW TO SOLVE THIS ? I WANT IT TO BE PERMANENTLY DELETED

-You add a setting to HKCU, like a file type. When creating a new user session, this file type is no more recognized. But I'm sure that adding the setting to HKLM instead of HKCU works.

=> HOW TO SOLVE THIS ? I WANT IT TO BE OPENED BY THE SAME PROGRAM FOR ALL USERS

That's just some exemples, it would be nice if someone could explain me how to configure the standart settings.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Under Windows XP, the default configuration given to all newly created user accounts is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Default User (where C: is your installation drive). While this folder and it's subfolders is normally hidden, youcan display them by selecting Display Hidden files and unchecking Hide Protected Operating System Files in the Windows Explorer Files and Settings Options dialog.

In this folder you can easily alter the Start Menu, Favorites, Documents, and Desktop contents which new user accounts will have. You can also alter the Registry settings in this account by loading the Registry Hive stored in this folder into Regedit.

Whatever changes you make in the Default User profile directory will be applied to any new user account you create. It will not, howeer, be applied to accounts which already exist - necessitatng that you make your changes in them as well.