XP Pro WINS Server?

RyanButs

OK, here's the issue.

I recently setup a VPN on my home XP Pro desktop so that I can access file/print shares from abroad. I have a Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT fw on it.

I can connect to the VPN with no problems at all. I can also see my shares with no problems at all. BUT, to view my shares I have to go start | run | \\local IP address\ then it will show me anything shared on that local IP address. I want to be able to view these shares in Network Neighborhood just like I can do when I am at home.

Got me so far? I can't view the file shares over the VPN in Network Neighborhood.

So I've been reading a lot about this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems if I have a WINS server running on my LAN somewhere I should be able accomplish this (I think). Except, I can't seem to find any information on running a WINS server in XP Pro. I have found a ton of information on how to do it in 2000 Server / Server 2003. Is it even possible?

I'm still not 100% sure on whether this IS going to solve my problem... so if anyone out there has any ides please let me know. They would be greatly appreciated.

I've read a little bit as well on the LMHOST file, could this work?

Anyways, let me know... thanks.

OK, so was I on the right track at least?

Do I need a WINS server running to be able to browse the shares on my LAN over the VPN through Network Neighborhood?

I can't seem to find much on the subject through my searching...

Thanks.

Well, if you aren't on your network (only VPN connected), then you'll need to set your DNS and/or WINS servers for that connection to a DNS and/or WINS server that knows about the hosts on that network. Depending on the VPN connection and software you're using, this may or may not be done automatically (but from what you're saying your symptoms are, I'd guess the latter).

Well, I have found a solution that works for me. After searching all day long and reading a lot of docs on the MS knowledge base.

The network I am VPNing into is my home LAN, so it is relatively small with only 4 computers on it. One of them being a laptop I use remotely, so when I VPN in there is really only 3 computers on the LAN.

Anyways, here it is. Use the LMHOST option in the "WINS" tab in the "Advanced" settings of the TCP/IP settings for your VPN client. This allows you to write a very simple text file basically resolving the host names yourself. So you're telling the VPN client that 192.168.1.100 is a certain computer etc....

Here's what my file looks like:

192.168.5.101 familyroom #PRE #SG

192.168.5.102 aaronsroom #PRE #SG

192.168.5.104 ryanslaptop #PRE #SG

192.168.5.105 kristenslaptop #PRE #SG

Now when I browse windows explorer or network neighborhood these show up and I am able to browse to them just like I can when I am physically connectd to the LAN. Nice huh? ;o)

Great doc on LMHOST and all the different switches you can use : support.microsoft.com/kb/314884/en-us

A small example of what I'm talking about here : theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/V···osts.txt and here : theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/V···work.pdf

There is also some information in the LMHOST file itself, in Win XP check out the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\lmhost.sam file.

Hope this helps anyone out there with similar issues!!!

Any questions let me know....

Thanks, Ryan

nice to see your problem solved itself.

However I would want to add this idea for the next one searching for a similar solution:

Since you are already running a Linux (probably 24x7) on your router, you could have installed the SAMBA package on it and have it set up as WINS server (and remember to configure it for listening on the internal network only). That way you would avoid having to edit the lmhost file. Instead you only have to add the IP of your router as WINS server.

Hey, that's a very good idea...

I think would rather do that. ;o)

I have a problem (maybe), I have the WRT54G v5. So I have to run the micro version of DD-WRT. Is there enough memory left over to run a WINS server off of it?

I also have no idea on how to set that up... any docs or walkthroughs you can link to?

A step by step would be great...

thanks, Ryan

sorry, i have overseen that little, but very important detail.

IIRC the SAMBA package (I use OpenWrt here) will use around 1 - 2 MB including it's dependencies. Since my router has 2 USB ports (Asus WL500Gd), I didn't stumble on that problem (as I plugged the USB HDD for the shared files in there) since I got more then enough storage for additional programs.

Looks like the only way for you is the lmhost file. Sorry.