Sudden Problems With Vista

mistme

Hi all, I've been using the final OEM version of vista since late January when I received it and had no problems at all until yesterday (Sun 11th Feb). While i was playing music in media player i started to notice small pauses in the music, about every 5-10 seconds the music would just pause for about half a second, when I started to investigate why I noticed it wasn't just the music but everything, even my mouse stopped at the same time. I decided to reboot to see if would stop but it made no difference. I then brought up the system task manager to see if the process monitor could shed any light on the problem which had been driving me crazy for the best part of the day.

I found the on the pauses the main 'SYSTEM' process (NT Kernel & System) being run under the System user name was making large CPU spikes where it would do nothing for 5-10 seconds and then suddenly spike to between 80-95% CPU usage.

This initially made me believe that either windows defender or another windows utility was running scheduled work on the system. So I investigated more found that Defender wasnt set to run on sundays and neither was auto defrag. Just incase however I disabled both these along with file indexing and system restore monitoring just to make sure windows didnt have anything scheduled to-do. I then rebooted and still had the problem.

I decided to give up, shut down and try again this Monday morning to see if it would correct itself. Well it didn't, I run full scans with defender and even installed symantec anti virus and run scans with that, both of which found nothing.

Has anybody had any problems like this, Is it known about and is there something that can help me.

Since its the main System process I am presuming it is something the actually operating system is doing and not any malicious content.

ps. I'm running Vista x64 Home Premium, and nothing has been installed on the system over the past week and the night before the problem occurred It was running perfectly playing HD-Movies without any problems.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by mistme

Ive tried what you said, but I cant get it to make a system dump with them instructions, are they still correct with Vista or is there something eles needed.

I think I will have to ust format and reinnsll vista soo though, becuase its just makes my PC unusable and I have alot of work I need todo.