32 bit and 64 bit require separate licenses?

Gooch

I'm getting ready to build a new system, and haven't yet decided if I'm going with Vista or XP.

The one thing I have decided is that I'm going 64 bit.

A couple of questions:

If I buy the retail DVD of XP that has both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions, and I install both on the same system for dual-booting, will I need to pay for 2 licenses?

I have heard some negative things about buying the OEM version as far as future upgrading goes. Will I run into problems with OEM or is it fine as long as it's not a "branded" OEM?

Thanks!

-Eric Gooch

OEM is meant to not be moved once it's installed. However, upgrading should not be a problem.

As far as the license issue goes, IIRC, you have to buy a seperate license. But don't quote me on that :whistle:

For Windows XP, yes, x86 and x64 are two different licenses. Vista, however, uses the same license for x86 and x64 (you get both x86 and x64 DVDs in the box, but one key). Just know that with Vista, once you choose your architecture for the key, you're stuck with your choice. As to the OEM question, yes, if you buy an OEM copy, it is stuck to that hardware forever. You are required to buy a new license if you wish to install it on another different PC, royalty or retail OEM have the same limitation.