remove a link in start menu?

hi

i been searching for a way to remove a link (remotesupport) in the start menu under windows xp pro Unattended setup

how do i do that??

i have looked for it here and i know its is done in the "RunOnce" of nlite

shall i make a *.txt file of the command (which i don know yet, help?) and then load it to the "RunOnce", or shall i write the command directly at "RunOnce"??

and why is my Network window in details everytime? i want small icons..

Edited by mongo

The easiest way to erase a shortcut is using a *.cmd (not a *.txt!) file with the following entry:

erase "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Remote Assistance.lnk"

As for the icon view setting in My Network Places, that's slightly more complicated as you have to manually open and close if first before you apply the corresponding registry tweak.

Here's how I do it:

1. On the machine where you setup your unattended cd, create a shortcut to My Network Places by right-clicking the icon on your desktop and selecting "Create Shortcut" from the context menu. Rename the shortcut "network" for easier reference.

2. Have your unattended cd copy that shortcut to some folder during setup.

3. Start the shortcut, preferably using the following command from a .cmd file:

start /D "%temp%\Shortcuts" network.lnk

4. Use the following AutoIt script to apply icon view:

WinWait("My Network Places")
WinClose("My Network Places")
WinWaitClose("My Network Places")

$N=9
Dim $bag[$N]
$bag_end=0

For $i=1 to $N

$bag[$i] = RegEnumKey("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags",$i)
If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
$bag_end=$bag[$i]

Next

RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\"&$bag_end&"\Shell","Vid","REG_SZ","{0057D0E0-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262}")

FileDelete(@TempDir&"\Shortcuts\network.lnk")

I let this script execute after first logon, it should work during first logon as well though. Note that the registry setting is written to a 'Bag' key. That's a unique identifier for every window that has been opened since Windows has been installed. In an unattended setup situation it's safe to assume that the opening of the My Network Places window will result in the population of one of the very first of the 'Bag' keys. That's why the script only checks which of the first 9 Bag keys belongs to the My Network Places window.

The easiest way to erase a shortcut is using a *.cmd (not a *.txt!) file with the following entry:

erase "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Remote Assistance.lnk"

As for the icon view setting in My Network Places, that's slightly more complicated as you have to manually open and close if first before you apply the corresponding registry tweak.

Here's how I do it:

1. On the machine where you setup your unattended cd, create a shortcut to My Network Places by right-clicking the icon on your desktop and selecting "Create Shortcut" from the context menu. Rename the shortcut "network" for easier reference.

2. Have your unattended cd copy that shortcut to some folder during setup.

3. Start the shortcut, preferably using the following command from a .cmd file:

start /D "%temp%\Shortcuts" network.lnk

4. Use the following AutoIt script to apply icon view:

WinWait("My Network Places")
WinClose("My Network Places")
WinWaitClose("My Network Places")

$N=9
Dim $bag[$N]
$bag_end=0

For $i=1 to $N

$bag[$i] = RegEnumKey("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags",$i)
If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
$bag_end=$bag[$i]

Next

RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\"&$bag_end&"\Shell","Vid","REG_SZ","{0057D0E0-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262}")

FileDelete(@TempDir&"\Shortcuts\network.lnk")

I let this script execute after first logon, it should work during first logon as well though. Note that the registry setting is written to a 'Bag' key. That's a unique identifier for every window that has been opened since Windows has been installed. In an unattended setup situation it's safe to assume that the opening of the My Network Places window will result in the population of one of the very first of the 'Bag' keys. That's why the script only checks which of the first 9 Bag keys belongs to the My Network Places window.

okay thnx, i´ll try that