FTP wont't connect

tal ormanda

When I plug the wireless router in the FTP server dont work. I port forward it with the new ip when its plugged in which is 192.168.5.2 on the wireless. And when I check the other router the computer name its forwarded to says aaron (my name) even after i re apply them. Whats wrong?

Can you telnet to port 21 from the other side of the router (testing the port 21 publishing rule)? Most ISPs block port 21 inbound so people don't run rogue FTP servers. You could also try configuring it on a different port to see if that works as well.

Are you trying to access the FTP server from another LAN (LAN to LAN)?

If so, and you cant connect then there is something wrong with the server setup?

Please provide some more details about your connection and the FTP server/client programs.

we run into ftp problems at work all the time when we run through our "NAT" for lack of a better term. The main cause is because ftp doesn't operate on one port. Though file transfers are done on one defined port, not everything is. We personally are limited to being able to change directories and send and get files. If we try to do things such as list the contents of the directory, those messages can never get through. Moral of the story, don't port foward ftp.

Edit: Random though, should probably mention this is the case when we use any CLI based ftp programs, either Solaris, Linux based or the Windows ftp CLI program. The GUI based ones tend not to give us any problems.

Edited by cyprod