Allow Network Users files

spacesurfer

I couldn't find the exact search term. If anyone can shed light:

How do I disallow the Guest account on PC 1 access to a drive (say drive D:\) but allow only 1 user (say User1) on PC 2 access to these files (over a network of course).

It seems if I disable guest account access, then the user from the network can't access drive D:\.

It seems if I disable guest account access, then the user from the network can't access drive D:\.

Other users on the network should be able to access the shared resource even with the Guest account disabled. However, the user may need to enter the full path to the resource and/or provide username/password to access the shared resource...

In my own network setup (internet cafe), I have the Guest account disabled on all client machines and "simple file sharing" turned off as well. I never had any problems accessing shared resources. You may want to check that the all required windows services are running (i.e., Server, Workstation etc) and make sure all machines belong to the same workgroup...

P.S. Windows XP doesn't allow access to shared resources using "blank" passwords...