Preparing Windows 2000

datarelm

Now I started thinking, I really like Windows 2000 Professional, but it isnt quite ready for a "Long Haul"

so to me anyways this is what i think needs to be done to equip it for use in the next 5 rough years lol.

>SP4 (A MUST)

>Unofficial SP5 (Good luck without it) (It includes, IE6, OE6, and about 400 hotfixes)

>Direct X 9.0c (bless you for hfslip tommyp)lol

>the 27 listed hotfixes for the year 2006

>A VERY GOOD FIREWALL AND ANTIVIRUS

I seem to have a solid plan here, any suggestions...

I'd say gathering as many current hotfixes and patches, as well as keeping a good (and updated) antivirus and antispyware application is crucial. Having a browser other than IE that will run on 2000 will probably be key as well, as IE6 will be as far as Windows 2000 can go.

SP 5.1 needs sp4, if you dont slipstream sp4 first, it twould be bad...... and as for IE 6, it will be good for another 5+ years website wise, when it finally falls into incompatability firefox 2.0 would be the route

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a great website (extremely detailed) on making a slipstreamed version of Win2k Sp5. I'm sorry if this is a double-post.

http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html

However, I do have a question.... I have seen sites and answers to this, but they do not answer it for what I need. I have a 250 gig HDD that the BIOS sees and it works fine. However, I did a slipstream of Win2k Sp5 and the bootcd still only sees the first 137gigs of the HDD.

I guess I need to know what I'm doing wrong and is it even possible for a Win2k Sp4 (or higher) bootable CD to see a hdd larger than 137gigs?

------------Edit------------------

Sorry, found it at this location:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry590337

------------End Edit--------------

Edited by TrikerII