WinPE 2005 on Itanium

Hysteresis

I've been building 32-bit versions of WinPE 2005 for some time now, so understand the basic techniques.

However, I now need to build a version for an Itanium target. I have a couple of basic questions about this. The WinPE help is a little confusing about 64-bit builds, so perhaps someone could clarify.

1. Do I make my reference build an X86 version of Win2003 or IA64 Win2003 ? The help talks about using a 64-bit version of XP (which would be X86 'cos there isn't an IA64 version of Windows XP for Itanium). If its the x86 version does this imply the Itanium has an x86 compatibility mode ?

2. I understand the Itanium WinPE boot process requires the setupldr.efi file to create the El Torito boot sector file. Is this supplied as part of the basic WinPE 2005 package or does it live on an Itanium already running Win2003. I can't find it in either place.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ok, established how to do this myself via a lot of experimentation. For future reference:

You need to create an El Torito boot image containing this directory layout:

EFI--

|

--BOOT--

| BOOTIA64.EFI

The BootIA64.efi file is a copy of setupldr.efi as found on the IA64 folder of the Windows 2003 install CD. Note directory/file names must all be forced to uppercase when you create the WinPE ISO. Doesn't look like WinPE Itanium supports 32-bit apps (i.e. no WOW64).

All files in the data section of the CD must be in uppercase. With this layout the CD will autoboot from the EFI Boot Manager menu when CD/DVD is selected.

Hope this info helps someone else.

Cheers.