I need a RIS alternative -- NOT DIY! --

Hi guys!

My company is switching to a Linux based domain.. that means getting rid of Active Directory DNS, Windows 2003 Servers!

But... this creates a helpless RIS server.

I am looking for a NON DIY app that will allow me to RIS without the RIS server.... preferably on a RH Linux server (init 3 anyone? lol)

I've tried the "RIS for Linux" guide on the net.. pretty cool but way way way too complex.

I've tried "winner" and it was cool+interesting but still too painfully DIY to set it all up.

To make matters worse I really need something that is able to deploy Linux (any flavor) and Windows from the same "remote install server"

with 1 single OS chooser.

I have searched the net and found no other all in one alternatives, except for OCM Provision:

Which appears to be pretty new. Has anyone tried it yet? :hello:

Unfortunately, I've only tried the Linux RIS option. It works, but the learning curve is definitely there and requires a bit of time and effort to get running. Usually in these scenarios, I've seen people set up a stand-alone domain on a single W2K3 box running RIS, and make the .sif files so that the machine doesn't join the domain on build. This allows the machine to be built via RIS (by pointing the correct dhcp options to the RIS server), but be able to join any other domain (including a linux/samba AD) after build, or even during the build (point the domain join portion to the new domain).

Unfortunately, I've only tried the Linux RIS option. It works, but the learning curve is definitely there and requires a bit of time and effort to get running. Usually in these scenarios, I've seen people set up a stand-alone domain on a single W2K3 box running RIS, and make the .sif files so that the machine doesn't join the domain on build. This allows the machine to be built via RIS (by pointing the correct dhcp options to the RIS server), but be able to join any other domain (including a linux/samba AD) after build, or even during the build (point the domain join portion to the new domain).

**** that was a quick reply! I will keep that open as a last ditch possibility because I have been "required by the man" to get an all in one (Linux+Windows) deal...

Have you used OCM-Provision before? Its not freeware and its not indexed on isohunt so it's hard to "try"

I am just about to have my boss buy it but I will wait a week for more replies, which isn't much time but a penny saved is a penny spent later

I've got no experience with that, but a Linux PXE server booting a WinPE or BartPE image with network support might be all that you need to launch your Windows installs. I think if you hop over to the WinPE forum, this has been discussed before.

I've got no experience with that, but a Linux PXE server booting a WinPE or BartPE image with network support might be all that you need to launch your Windows installs. I think if you hop over to the WinPE forum, this has been discussed before.

This is true as the RIS for Linux site explains but its still too DIY for me.

Thank you for your advice though and I am considering it as a possibility.

• 3 months later...