Vista Setup isn't running from modified boot.wim

FireGeier

My target is to create a DVD which is starting a PE-Shell, where I can let run WinRE from and where I can start my unattended Setup from and may do some other operations before - like backing up data.

Caused by SRT-Package-Problem I'm forced to adapt the boot.wim from Vista-DVD to get WinRE running.

Well my Shell - I use nu2menu - is running fine and I can start and use WinRE. But if I start Vista Setup - does not make a difference, if unattended or manualy - it will first start fine but after a while it will give me an error message and cancle setup.

All I've changed is that I've added the nu2menu files to get a Start menu and modified winpeshl.ini to get this shell running.

Is anybody able to let Setup run completly started from WinPE - based on boot.wim - manually?

Another question I have:

On my RC1-DVD boot.wim does contain 2 images. Does anybody no for what reason?

Thanks,

Martin

I've to let it run again, cause the last time I've forgot to snap the error message... will post it later... but I remeber that it wasn't something helpfull.

Vista-Setup is running fine attended and unattended on the machine. Problem starts once I modify the boot.wim.

System:

AMD Athlon XP System

MSI 6729 Mainboard

nVidia Chipset

ATI Radeon 9200 SE

I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the boot.wim. First I've tried to export the second image of original boot.wim to a new boot.wim, which I put into sources folder of DVD. Than setup does stop while copying files. Error message: Setup could not find X:\sources\boot.wim. Error Code: 80070491 This does mean that setup seems to expect a second image inside boot.wim in my eyes.

I was woundering about at all, why setup does look for boot.wim file at this state of setup, cause I've thought WinPE would already run at this moment. :unsure:

Martin

Edited by FireGeier