WinRE default keyboard layout

jamieo

Is there any way to specify the default keyboard layout so it won't prompt for it when WinRE boots? The prompt for admin password that follows it isn't too bad but I find the keyboard one quite annoying.. I guess I haven't found an answer so far as the users from US don't mind having to just hit enter!

I've already tried specifying an unattend.xml or using wpeutil but maybe I'm implementing them incorrectly or at the wrong time. Has anybody got this working? If so, please post your code.

Edit: Although 'WinRE' would imply it, I am refering to WinPE 2.0 that ships with Vista

Edit: Booting the same .wim from UFD doesn't prompt for admin password (but still prompts for keyboard) so how do I get this behaviour when booting from HDD?

Jamie

Edited by jamieo

I've already tried specifying an unattend.xml and using wpeutil but maybe I'm implementing them incorrectly or at the wrong time. Has anybody done this?
You can use an unattend.xml file to avoid the keyboard dialog, the WAIK doc contains all the codes you need for your locales.

Thanks, but as I posted, I already tried this and it only effects the windows setup keyboard mapping etc. If you know different please post your code, heres mine:

<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<SetupUILanguage>
<UILanguage>en-UK</UILanguage>
<WillShowUI>Never</WillShowUI>
</SetupUILanguage>
<InputLocale>0809:00000809</InputLocale>
<!--InputLocale>en-UK</InputLocale-->
<SystemLocale>en-UK</SystemLocale>
<UserLocale>en-UK</UserLocale>
<!-- UILanguage must be en-US to avoid prompt -->
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
<UILanguageFallback>en-US</UILanguageFallback>
</component>
</settings>

Edited by jamieo

Has anybody got any unattend settings to work in WinPE?? Elsewhere in this forum I see people cannot get WinPE to accept the XML. Guess I'll need to try mine again and look into the logs to see what's going on...

My code looks at lot like your, only its for danish keyboard layout ... and its working very nicely

How to you apply your unattend.xml file ?

The recommeded method is to use wpeinit /unattend:<pathtounattendfile>, you could add this in startnet.cmd or Winpeshl.ini

I had tried with wpeinit as you describe - using startnet.cmd. Now I know for sure I am on the right track I'll give it another go and hunt though the logs to see whats wrong (now I know where the logs are!).

Thanks for your reply,

Jamie

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...