Network hardware issues when upgrading Inspiron 2500 to XP

dxpsteve

I have been having some issues trying to get an Inspiron 2500 upgraded to XP. Everything has been installed, however, I cannot get it online.

I think my problem has to do with the hardware itself and finding the appropriate drivers.

I have tried Dell support as well as many other driver sites, however none of them seem to work. In fact, the computer won't even recognize the network card.

I also noticed that in the Device Manager, under Modems, there is one item called "Lucent Win Modem." I figured that maybe it would recognize the NIC if I installed the Dell driver for the modem. However, Windows will not let me do so. Anytime I remove the Lucent Win Modem, and try to re-add the hardware, it automatically loads it as Lucent Win Modem again. Also, I have tried changing the driver, however it says that the driver information I have selected does not match the device.

This should have just been a simple task; I was assigned to format the notebook, and install a fresh copy of XP. However, I cannot complete everything I'm supposed to have done until I can obtain updates online.

Can anybody shine some light on this problem? If you need anymore information, please just say so.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

• 1 year later...