How to launch Winnt32 on x64?

Br4tt3

Hi guys!

I have been running x86 versions of WinPE and 2003SP1 installations, but I am trying to move into x64 environments.... so I have rebuilt my WinPE based on x64 Windows 2003 SP1 source media, which is working, I then kick of the Windows2003x64 installation from within WinPE with the following command:

Start /wait C:\Progra~1\<company>\amd64\winnt32.exe /s:C:\Progra~1\<company>\amd64 /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c: /unattend:C:\unattend\standard.txt

The installation kicks off but after copying some files, it returns the following error:

An error occurred copying file w_isdel.exe to c:\$win_nt$.~ls\i386\w_isdel.exe

If I check the amd64 directory on the RTM CD, no such file: However, there is a file named like that in the i386 folder which makes me wonder? Should I copy the amd64 or the i386 down locally before running x64 installations? x86 on win2003 corresponds to the i386 folder, I built my new x64 WinPE using the source files within the amd64 directory.... then again, it is somewhat confusing that they call it winnt32.exe when from what I understand u actually kicking of a 64 bit install...

Anyone have any insights on how to launch x64 installations from within WinPE? Please enlighten me...

I've been running Win2k3 x64 installs from WinPE since it came out.

My Windows source files are on the network.

My setup command line is:

Z:\W2K3ES64\AMD64\winnt32.exe /s:Z:\W2K3ES64\AMD64 /syspart:C /tempdrive:C /makelocalsource /unattend:C:\unattend.txt

The x64 setup does access both the amd64 and i386 folders.

Looking at your command line, it looks like your source files are already on the hard drive? "C:\Progra~1\<company>\amd64\"

Edited by Jazkal

Hi! and thanks for your answer... do u know if u only keep ur amd64 directory stored on the network, or the whole CD? Cause I copy my amd64 directory locally before running the winnt32.exe command. When I try to check for the file w_isdel.exe it cannot be found else then in the i386 dir on the CD which I didnt copy...

Also, when checking my c:\$win_nt$.~ls\ path (which is created) it does not contain an i386 dir, only the amd64 dir which is really confusing... I will try with the /makelocalsource options as well!

Gonna be a long friday I guess...

Edited by Br4tt3

Yes, we keep the whole CD on the network share. I found it's quicker to just install it from there.

If you are copying the files down locally first, you would need to have the amd64 and i386 folders in the same root folder. I think that is the problem you are seeing.