IE7 crashes/doesnt start

david6400

Hey guys,

I've been using Vista RC2 for a while now, and after a while Internet Explorer stopped working, which is generally alright because I use Firefox for my main browser, but there are a couple things I do that require the functionality of internet explorer. It doesn't even start, it immediately crashes without even opening. This is the "problem signature" that windows creates.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: iexplore.exe

Application Version: 7.0.5744.16384

Application Timestamp: 45234b58

Fault Module Name: SynTPFcs.dll

Fault Module Version: 7.5.13.1

Fault Module Timestamp: 3ef1f4bd

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00001599

OS Version: 6.0.5744.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 8d13

Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Additional Information 3: 8d13

Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

I don't know if this signature actually means anything to anyone, or if anyone has been having a similar problem, but if so; please post and give me a hand

thanks

Hi Buddy,

I haven't had a crash so far. However, I think SynTPFcs.dll is from Synaptics application. I have this dll on my laptop (IBM thinkpad) Uninstall that application and try starting IE7. I have this dll in 2 paths "C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\Media\SYNTPFCS.DLL" and also "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SynTPFcs.dll"

Cheers,

Aravind.

hey man,

thanks a bunch, that worked! I had installed the synaptics device manager so that I could disable my touchpad on occasion though. I guess Ill have to find another way to do that to work around Internet Explorer

Thanks again

I'd say your best bet is finding a version of the driver that doesn't load in IE7, since there's no conceivable reason I can think of for a system driver to be loading inside of IE, as the shell handles mouse component data, not IE. Oh well, live and learn.