adding Intel Matrix drivers to unattended install

moneymike

Hello,

I am trying to install my flat RIS image onto a new HP computer.

However, I cannot get the install to recognize the Hard drive (it is a SATA hard drive running on the Intel 82801 GR/GH SATA RAID controller)...

This is what I have done so far:

I downloaded the Intel Storage Manager from the HP page.

Extracted the 32 bit floppy drive drivers onto a floppy drive. Placed those files into REMINST\Setup\English\Images\WINDOWSXP\i386

These are the files from the floppy drive:

iaahci.cat

iaahci.inf

iastor.cat

iastor.inf

iastor.sys

txtsetup.oem

After copying these over into i386, I then rebooted the RIS service.

Now when I do my RIS install, I get the

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives" error.

Can anybody help? How can I get my RIS install to recognize the drivers?

Well,

I figured it out... somebody posted this in some other forum:

"Most Dell's that have SATA have an option in the BIOS to make an SATA drive be detected as and IDE drive for compatiblity, it's called "Combined Mode". If you are having trouble loading drivers for the SATA drive you may want to go that route instead. You need to enter the BIOS configuration (I think you hit either delete or F2 to enter BIOS setup, it depends on the Dell) and on the drive options change the drive mode to "Combined". Then Windows setup should detect the drive with no issues and no need to load extra drivers."

I checked in the HP's BIOS and I was able to set it to combined mode. It works! :thumbup

Yes DELL's have that option and prolly other computers aswell. I have used it once for a bank that bought 10000 DELL's for WindowsNT. I am just wondering if the combined mode doesn't slow down the drive as i think IDE is slower then SATA so i wonder what happens when COMBINED mode is on. If it's slower, the same or fast er ?:) Would be nice to have some tests on that.