Upgrade from 2000 - HELP

kestrel0222

Hi,

I am new to this forum but not new to computers. I have an IBM PC that was given to me from were I work. It was originaly set up on a small network and had internet access through a DSL connection. The operating system was 2000. I took this sytem home and set it up for my kids. It was working fine, I have internet access thru a dial up modem, that also was working O.K. My problem began when I upgrade the operating sytem to Windows XP Professional. Everything seems to work except I am unable to connect to the internet. I have gone through some of the setups to make a new connection, but the options to use a dial up connection is "dimmed out", not able to sellect this option. It seems that the system is always trying to ge to a non-dial up DSL connection. How do I set this sytem up to go to a dial up connection? I have spent the better part of this past weekend trying everything I can think of to fix this problem.

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by kestrel0222

Have you checked device manager to make sure that the modem is working? This may very well be the result of an uninstalled modem driver.

Unfortunately this can be a troublesome obstactle, since without an internet connection obtaining the needed device driver may be difficult. If you are able to access the Internet from another computer, I would suggest checking the manufacturer's web site for the appropriate device drivers and try installing them.

If this isn't the problem, or if you've already tried this, it may help to post what steps you've already taken to try and resolve the problem to help rule out some possible explanations.

Thanks for your response.

It says that the modem is enabled. I have tried everthing that the help files had me do. I guess I should say that I tried every step within the trouble shooting area for this issue. The thing that has me stumped is that if I try to create a new connection, the option for a dial up connection is unselectable. I can't get the system to look at anything else then the DSL option. :angry:

Edited by kestrel0222

That's strange because normally a greyed-out option for the dial would indicate that the system doesn't detect any usable devices to connect to for dial up (i.e. the modem). I would still suggest checking for drivers and re-installing them using device manager if you haven't done so already--that would definately be step one for me.

If your only available option is as you put it for a DSL option, then it sounds like your PC is only recognizing the ethernet LAN network card as a usable device for networking.

Thanks,

I'll give that a try.

How can I find out what modem I have on my computer? Sorry for the elementary questions.

If the device is currently showing up in the device manager, then it should list the manufacturer/model, but if not, then it can be a little trickier--you may be able to find out by opening the case and checking the device itself, or check the computer manufacturer's web site to see if they have any information available on the particular model you have and what the standard specs are. Some computer vendors (i.e. Dell) will provide with their systems a disk with the component drivers for re-installation. while most of the time these drivers will be out date, the utility provided may help identify installed hardware.