rdp from Vista to xp or w2k3 boxes? how? help?

alien2xx

Using Vista MSDN final.

I am trying to connect to my office from home using Remote Desktop to either a Windows XP sp2 or a Windows server 2003.. but I cant with Vista...

The interesting is that I do the same connection all the time from a Windows XP w/sp2 and it connects just fine so I know everything is correct on the office side and my side, Vista has an issue here...

Vista refuses to even find the computers.. I have turned off all firewalls, etc...

Any idea?

The message I get is:

"Remote Desktop Disconnected"

"Remote Desktop cannot find the remote computer. Type the computer name or IP address again....etc"

I am using the IP address, same as I use it on WIndows XP and it works..

any suggestions?

Thanks

I tried to connect via web remote desktop the admin put together, If I use a Windows XP to connect it works just fine, vista does not want to connect, it has to be something on this new OS, a registry change or something... I even re-install Vista, plain vanilla, no extra software at the moment, competely disabled firewall and windows defender.... still same deal

quote:

Have you tried disabling/unchecking IPv6 on the VPN/LAN connection to the office? I have found that Vista always tries IPv6 before the traditional IPv4"

how can I disable this option in Vista? I dont think there is anything wrong at the office side.

This is killing me, I use it to connect on a daily basis to the office, in order for me to use Vista I need to find a solution otherwise I am stock...

post-3095-1164138656_thumb.jpg

Edited by alien2xx

I actually ran into this problem in Vista x64, and it came down to having the correct proxy software installed (ISA server on the network, needed the 64bit firewall client installed). Can you ping the XP or 2003 machines? Can you telnet to port 3389 on those machines from the Vista machine? If the answer is no to one or both, you might want to make sure you aren't going through a proxy.

Open up the Properties of both your LAN and VPN connections and see the IPv6, uncheck for all and try again. Unfortunately you cannot remove IPv6 - only 'uncheck' it.

I had the same problem before I did this!

You also need to check the RDP connection - goto the Advanced Tab - and look under Authentication Options - select 'Always Connect even if authentication fails', which is NOT the default value under Vista.

Edited by andrewpayne

Hi, :blink:

Thanks for your hint, last night I did some digging:

I did uncheck IPv6 from the network properties, and I also disabled it using the registry change guided by miscrosoft site to make it really disabled - rebooted PC.

I also changed the authentication method at the registry level to make it stick for web connection too(Connect even if authentication fails) and still the same problem.

When I use the web interface to the company network, I get connected and I can ping the machines using a dos window, they ping just fine but trying to connect thru rpd (either the applet or web connection) does not work.... :no:

Vista I am using is x86 not 64bit if it matters.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JTFeather

I'm having the same exact issue. I'm daily connect to 2000 boxes and 2003 boxes from Vista. W2K boxes connect just fine, but I can almost NEVER connect to 2003. If I "flood connect," once in a blue moon I can get in. Any ideas anyone?

Open up the Properties of both your LAN and VPN connections and see the IPv6, uncheck for all and try again. Unfortunately you cannot remove IPv6 - only 'uncheck' it.

I had the same problem before I did this!

You also need to check the RDP connection - goto the Advanced Tab - and look under Authentication Options - select 'Always Connect even if authentication fails', which is NOT the default value under Vista.

i have a question where can i find this "You also need to check the RDP connection - goto the Advanced Tab - and look under Authentication Options - select 'Always Connect even if authentication fails'

When I use the web interface to the company network, I get connected and I can ping the machines using a dos window, they ping just fine but trying to connect thru rpd (either the applet or web connection) does not work....

so going through Tsweb will work fine but vista will not let you in, you are using a password for your account correct? and like cluberti asked, can you telnet on 3389 to those machines? i know i have little issue with RDP to any Xp or 2003 machine, either in house or across the Internet