Appropriate font sizes and colour for composing e-mail?

Sgt_Strider

I know this may be a bit anal, but what font and sizes do you guys use to compose your e-mail? Do you try to ensure that all e-mails meet certain format criterias? Also do you guys enable the change in font colour when responding to e-mails? Or you leave it the same colour as when you first composed the message?

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
I know this may be a bit anal, but what font and sizes do you guys use to compose your e-mail? Do you try to ensure that all e-mails meet certain format criterias? Also do you guys enable the change in font colour when responding to e-mails? Or you leave it the same colour as when you first composed the message?

I would suggest using what is most readable on the screen. Don't festoon the document with multiple colours. A sans serif font, such as Arial, is more readable on-screen. I generally use a 10-point font size as my standard. The "reply as a different colour" feature was new to me when I started using Outlook. Now that I've used it, I kind of like it. The colour tends to help the eye distinguish between original content and reply. A nice alternative to the old way of using brackets: ">".

The best thing you can do is restrain yourself and other users from using scripted, ornate or decorative fonts, even in their signatures. The resolution of a display is so much lower than printed output that the "pretty" or "cute" fonts are terrible for everyday use.