XP Bootable DVD really slow.

So I've created a slipstream install DVD that uses GuiRunOnce to install all my apps, burned with Nero & the same boot sector that I have used in the past for slipstreamed CD's. Problem is everything seems a little slower despite having a 16xDVD drive.

I figured burning a DVD would speed up access, but from the time I start the text install to the time I agree to the EULA and enter the partition screen is about 5 times longer than with a CD-R. I didnt add any drivers to the text only section of the setup, or modify it in any other way.

I was just wondering is there a better boot image to use for DVD's that speeds everything up or are DVD's just going to be this slow.

For the record my DVD drive is a NEC 3550A

Yes, DVD's are going to be slower. Your's has a read speed of 16x for DVD's and 48x for CD's. Not quite 5x but a significant difference. It's the price we pay for the storage capacity.

Good, fast and cheap. Pick 2 cuz you can't have all 3.

Yes, DVD's are going to be slower. Your's has a read speed of 16x for DVD's and 48x for CD's. Not quite 5x but a significant difference. It's the price we pay for the storage capacity.

Good, fast and cheap. Pick 2 cuz you can't have all 3.

Don't spread misinformation. 1x for CD-ROM has a transfer rate of 150 KB per second. 1x DVD-ROM has a transfer rate of 1,350 KB per second - nine times more than CD - it has to, can you imagine how long it would take to read a DVD at 1x CD speed? Let's say you had an 8.4GB DVD, reading at 150KB/s - it would take over 15 hours to read the data of the DVD! A 16 speed DVD ROM theoretically reads at up to 21,600 KB per second, whereas a 48x CD ROM achieves only 7,200 KB per second.

Good catch and I apologize for speaking off the cuff. I didn't dig deep enough to see the actual transfer rates. However, if those transfer rates are valid, why then are data DVD's slower than CD's? I normally have a much slower transfer rate from DVD's, but in theory, they should be 3x faster. I still think reality is stepping in there somewhere in between the specifications.