Machine_check_exception

BombaTwist

I get this BSOD error when im doing some video editting and stuff and also when i delete files from my slave hd. here are my specs.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Core

DFI nF4-DAGF

NEC dvd burner

1 corsair value select ram 512mb pc 3200

1 512mb ram pc 2700 (got from a broken emachines computer)

1 Western Digital 40gb 2 mb cache ide

1 Hitachi Deskstar 80gb 2mb cache ide (slave from a broken emachines computer)

ATi Radeon x300HE 128mb

Rosewill 600 Watt

i recently put in the parts from the emachines computer and been getting the BSOD when i use my video editting programs.

Im guessing this is a hardware error, but is there anyway i can fix this? thanks.

p.s. i didn't overclock anything

speedfan results

The overall fitness for this drive is 81%.

The overall performance for this drive is 93%.

Edited by BombaTwist

Although it doesn't appear you're getting a STOP 0x9c, you're getting the same bugcheck code. This one can be a little tricky to track down, but it almost always comes down to faulty drivers or bad hardware.

First, I'd strongly suggest you keep track of exactly what you are doing on your machine every time it occurs, to see if there is a pattern. Second, I'd make sure I was using the latest vendor driver for every piece of hardware in that machine that uses drivers, from sound and video to chipset. Third, I'd update everything in that machine - BIOS, firmware for all hardware if possible (including disk drives, video cards, sound cards, etc - if any update to firmware is available, flash it). Lastly, if I still had issues, I'd scale back hardware to just a video card, a stick of RAM, one disk drive, and the processor and motherboard to see if the problems continued.

ill see what i can do with the firmware, if my harddrive is faulty, could i do some kind of reformat to clear the whole drive empty and reuse it again? or will it still be faulty? because the 80gb harddrive i put in had an OS installed on it and i never took out the OS from it, just deleted the WINDOWS folder that was in it, and things like that.

ok when i try to transfer my files to my external hd that i have on that 80 gig that i think is corrupted, it gives me the BSOD error, but when i try to transfer files from my 40gig to my external, everything runs fine.

so im guessing the harddrive is the problem, was wondering if formatting it would solve the problem, or would i have to buy a new one?