XP To Vista Auto Upgrade Over Network

Chrisitan

Im Looking For A way in wich its possible to update a bunch of computers from xp to vista over the local net, without losing any data on the computer.

since going with one DVD from computer to computer is time consuming.

if somebody could help me i would be realy greatful.

MFG Christian

Edited by Chrisitan

Im Looking For A way in wich its possible to update a bunch of computers from xp to vista over the local net, without losing any data on the computer.

since going with one DVD from computer to computer is time consuming.

if somebody could help me i would be realy greatful.

MFG Christian

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/desktopde...07/default.mspx

check out Microsofts Business Desktop Deployment Tools, everything that you are looking for can be found within this toolset

Well, not to be a complete and utter buttcheese, but BDD is how you do it. It does work, more than a few of us here on the forum are actively using it now for test-deployments on our respective test environments.

What specific part are you having problems with? What pieces have you sucessfully accomplished on the road to building your deployment via BDD?

is there no option like http://www.nliteos.com ???

caz i think this is the right way...??

nlite really isn't a deployment method that you would want to use to a corporate environment, if this is something that you just want for use at home or the like then nlite would work, you would just have to wait for people to create a version of nlite for vista

Agreed. NLite is perfect for those advanced home users who know exactly what they want (and don't want) from their OS.

In a corporate environment where you run the gammut of clients from those who can barely operate their DVD player to those who develop the newest point-of-sale equipment, you can't use a product like NLite to build an OS (and certainly not distribute it in a controlled fashion)

There are much larger things to worry about in a corporate deployment, such as retaining client data, client applications and preferences, full OS functionality across all hardware platforms, etc. You don't want to start "lightening" the OS for fear of someone needing a function that you somehow second-guessed that nobody would use.

BDD is the next iteration of the half-decent SMS OS Deplyment Kit. The functions available are quite good and give you a significant amount of flexability in installation options and client data management. In an active directory environment, there are enough features and options to manage a wide-scale deployment down to the individual check mark ticks on a specific model of laptop belonging to a specific user.