Unattended Install OS tweaks Question:edit

FSI

I am currently making an unattended install cd with drivers built into it. I have made this cd many times, but this time I want to do some OS tweaks. For example I want the resolution to be 1024x768, in folder options view hidden files, turn off screen saver, etc. I've looked around the msfn site and couldn't really find what I was looking for. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. If someone knows how to do it and wants to share that would be great as well.

Edited by FSI

For most tweaks, this can be done via a reg file built into your unattended installation - more info on this can be found at this thread: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=66127 although for changing the screen res I know the pain I had trying to figure this one out, though eventually came across a great util file called 1365VidChng.exe (zipped and attached to this post) which when placed in your "XPCD\$OEM$\$$\System32" folder can be executed from your "RunOnce" file using the command "1365VidChng.exe 1024x768x16@1 -q". You obviously change the values 1024x768 to your preferred res and the last figure, 16, determines your colour depth. I've used this for a while now and it has always worked spot on every time.

1365VidChng.zip

I found a utility called videochanger with very similar arguments except that you also specify the vertical refresh rate. It goes like "videochanger.exe 1024x768x32@75."

Does the utility quoted aboe automatically take care of the vertical refresh rate? If it does I would certainly want to try it.

Thanks for the input guy's, I figured it out shortly after I posted this. I have another question however, does anyone know how to create partitions with the unattended install. I want to have windows, C:, on a 20 gig partion and make the rest of the drive the D: partition. Any incited on this will be awesome

If you have a dos section prior to the OS install, you can do it there. I have never seen anything that allows you to do it via the unattend.txt.

I use AEFDisk in a dos session just prior to the OS install. I create a C partion of 2 gigs. Then, create another partition of 33gigs. I will use the ExtendOEMPartition flag in the OS install to get the full 35 gig C drive.

After creating my 2g, and 33g partitions. I create another, last one I promise, that is 10g. Then I delete the 33g partition.

This leaves me with a 2gig'er to perform an install on, a big blank space in the middle of the disk to perform the ExtendOEMPartition on, and finally the remaining space is the 10g D drive.

AEFDisk is a great tool. I've been using it for 5+ years and it has never let me down.