Cannot install security updates (MS Office 2003)

Pensionada

Since some time, my system refuses to install MS Office 2003 security updates.

The download (initiated by automatice update or manually; I have tried both) works fine, but the installation fails. Every time, the system sends an automatic messages to MS but I do not get any clue or advice how to install the updates.

Typically, the system keeps on offering to install these updates but it never succeeds.

Please help

did you create a administrative installation of your Office? If yes, this is the reason. you hve to apply the updates to the CD and reinstall Office

Sorry André, I do not understand your question. What is an administrative installation?

The installation was done the standard way from a CD: put it in, accept a couple of times, enter the code, etc.

Sorry André, I do not understand your question. What is an administrative installation?

This: http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistan...1363091033.aspx It also contains all updates of office and lets administrators a chance to install Office silently :)

The installation was done the standard way from a CD: put it in, accept a couple of times, enter the code, etc.

this looks like you have a normal CD. Is your Windows Installer ok? What version do you have installed (3.1 v2? )

Ok, clear. I do not work in a company but help senior people with their computers. Mostly old systems and slow stuff. This one is a relatively new laptop (about 3 years old with enough speed, memory and all).

I would guess that the Windows Installer is OK as it was updated by the regular Windows update process. That process installs all the Windows XP updates (the weekly ones) without problem (it is genuine) but fails on all Office2003 updates.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been searching for this topic! I have an administrators version of Office 2003 and duly installed it. I can not get the security updates (for the reasons I now see from the link posted by MagicAndre1981 :thumbup ).

I really have no need for a central install point, I just want to update over the web conventionally.

So to my question: If I create standalone ISO CD's of each application, can I remove the current version and re-install from the standalone CD? Will this then allow me to update through the web??

If I do this, will I lose all my (for example) Outlook settings?

I hope I am making sense :blushing: