Open With - limited to 9 choices?

terrypin

In Win XP Home, it seems that the list that appears when you r-click a file and choose 'Open With...' is limited to 9. One drops off without warning if you exceed that (by choosing Browse to select a new one).

Does anyone know if there is a simple, risk-free way of increasing that permanently please? Ideally I'm hoping there's a registry entry in which '9' can be modified to say '12' or whatever.

The AVI type is what prompted this post, but several of my file types can usefully be opened in more than 9 programs.

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

• 1 year later...

Think about using 'send to' instead.

This in fact is a folder, that already exists on your systems and contains a few links to applications.

Once located that folder, you may want to add some more links there, to your favourite applications.

For example, copy those from the start menu there to.

Won't interfere with the registry in any way.

First of all, your favourite editor belongs there.

And maybe a HEX editor, QuickView, an alternative browser, media players, whatever you like.

As I'm running W98SE right now, and only German versions anyway, I can't tell you the location precisely, but on XP it should be within the user specific structure.

In 98SE it's 'SendTo' inside of your WINDOWS folder.

And there in it's even possible, to implement an extra folder structure, to sort up things perfectly.

Have fun

FishBowl