RISing multiple computers

tattoo

This forum is far and beyond the best RIS forum i have ever seen, so much good information, enough cheesing up.

I've been working with RIS for about 2 years, I push an image(xp corp, mobo,video drivers, .net, etc)

on to as many as 10 shuttle computers at a time.(models FB61,FB62,FB75) my dream is to load 44 at a time. i load the shuttles are for military simulators and the more i can ris the less time it takes. about 6 months ago it went from 10 to maybe 2 or 3 shuttles at a time. there are 3 different errors i receive.

1. I will start rising 1 computer, then 2, once the 3rd one starts copying files, one of the other 2 will stop asking for a file it cant find. you can hit enter on the one that stops and it never finds the file, but once 1 of the other 2 finish rising, you hit enter and it goes like nothing is wrong.

2. i get this stop error

STOP: c000021 Unknown Hard Error

\systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll

restart the computer start RISing and its fine

3. another blue screen of death, forgot to write down

my scope has a range of 100 IPs, and ive watched DHCP issue the IP addresses without any problems

Today i was put in charge of making RIS part of all of the different programs at my work, IT previously maintained the RIS server now its just me. any suggestions on how to solve this problem or something that i could automate login run a few batch files, change computer, network name would be cool too.

Thanks

Kaine

What I generally do is wait for the text mode setup to complete before firing off another install. It only takes a couple of minutes at the most anyway.

As for scripts, I've been putting together post setup scripts for a years now. If you hit the link in my signature, you can check them out.

Are you starting these installs via WinPE (or BartPE), or are these straight PXE-boot into Windows text-mode setup? If you're doing the former, this is expected behavior (unfortunately), and is made worse if you've got any file system filter drivers on the system (aka Antivirus software, backup OFO drivers, etc) that touch the RIS volume.

If you use WinPE 2005 and the RamDrive option, this is alleviated, but most people don't go that far and run into this little gem. Not sure if this is your situation, but just so you are aware this is a problem with all PEs that do not use a RamDrive - if you aren't using PE, try uninstalling ALL file system filter drivers from that server and reboot to see if it helps. I can routinely get 50+ machines going at once on a single RIS server regularly, so what you are seeing is not normal behavior. The RIS server I use is used for nothing but RIS, has quite beefy hardware, and has no 3rd party software installed at all, mind you, but RIS is very robust if you treat the RIS install as a single-role server product.