Multiboot images using RIS

poljax

I work in a university here in Manila, and with the gradual expansion of the student body, I am tasked to maintain our IT laboratories with different sets of images. I've found it troublesome to reimage the computers week after week to suit the needs of the different classes. I'ev thought of creating a multiboot system using RIS as a form of deployment.

Is it possible to deploy an image with multi-boot capabilities using RIS? I have basic understanding of RIS technology (i'm a noob in short haha). From what I gather, using RIS image (I usually do a RIPREP) will partition the whole hard drive. Please help me in finding a solution for this.

Thanks in advance!

I think this has been discussed earlier as there are a limited way of deploying an image with intergrated applications within it: I will suggest what I think u should do;

1. RipRep - several images possible. Downside is of course, the number of images to maintain over the time... also, riprep is pain in the back to support when it comes to hotfixes and so on...

I recommend:

1. One generic flat RIS image, for example WinXP SP2 integrated into it...

2. On the question onto having one image, with custom added applications depending on who is going to use it, u could solve that with the usage of the .osc screens that comes with the RIS installation. This will provide a more flexible way of customizing ur install depending of which groups of students that will utilize the client upon final install. A link where we discussed something like this;

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...80211&st=15

the actual feature that makes u able to select which application that gets installed, comes on page #3.

• 1 month later...

hey there!

I work in a Portuguese University, FEUP, and I am implementing for over 6 months (!!!) a huge RIS project that incorporates various Microsoft technologies to automate almost all of the work in our "computer repair shop".

For your idea, I came up with a solution that is to use "RIS Menu Editor" from www.emboot.com that lets you use a Ghost boot disk and deploy whatever images you want.. ;)

Best regards,

Ivo